Newbie woodturning question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfie

Reaction score
I have been given some pieces of apple wood which are a good size for turning but they've only just recently been cut down. Can you turn 'fresh' wood or should I let it dry out for a while? Up till now I've been practising on wood from the firewood pile which has been there since last year. And if they need leaving, how long for? Cheers

Yes you can "half" turn it now and finish it off later when its dry. In this case if you plan to make a bowl you must turn it with thick walls so that it doesnt warp ( unless you like it like that). You put it aside untile moisture falls below 10% or so and then you finish it. The other option is to cut the blanks and let them dry. In both cases you should use something ( anchor seal, paint, watered pva glue..)to seal to endgrain and minimise crack formation ( unless you want it like that). I hope this helps, cheers.

Hi,
Rough turn oversize then put the wood in a polythene bag and lightly seal so it doesn’t dry out too quick or it will crack if it dries out too quick. Every week open the bag and shake out any water or moisture and reclose until it is dry to your requirement. It will probably distort but once you remount it you can turn to your requirement.
Regards,
Dave

Latest posts

Back