Newbie with a shed building question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superted

Reaction score
Hello to all

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I plan to build a garden shed in the coming months, 10x6.5 ft, nothing to extreme but something a lot stronger than the flat pack rubbish on the market. Unfortually the budget won't stretch to a log cabin type construction. I have looked at building a timber frame and shiplap clad structure but once insulation and internal cladding is factored in I think cost out weights end result (for want of a better explanation).
Another idea that has arisen is to build a solid structure with 3x2 pressure treated timber, but with the timber laid flat on the base and built up in layers sort of like a brick wall. I will either firmly nail or screw (costing?) and possably glue each new layer on top of the previous layer, overlapping the corners and leaving cutouts for a door and window. I will build up each gable end to a 45 degree point and can then run 6x2 beams from gable to gable to support the roof.

What would be the pros and cons to such a build? I understand that it might sound a bit overkill to some but I want to build this to last a very long time plus I have roughtly costed the 3x2 timber vs the shiplap build and the 3x2 will come in slightly cheaper.

Pros I can think of would be
Very solid construction
3in thick walls, no need for insulation
No need for internal cladding
No need for complex (for me) roof trusses, gable walls and 6x2's will carry the roof.

Only con I can think of is would the timber gap much when it drys out? Between each layer or if I fix it well will it stay solid?

I should also mention the base will be built from 6x2 with 3/4 ply on top. I plan to make the base very solid as the structure will be very heavy.

And toughts or suggestions would be great, thank you :D

Never seen it or heard of it done that way myself.

My immediate thought is that the timber might twist and not stay in position as constructed.

Also a very large expense for only 10 x6.5, I would replan myself and take into account that a larger one will most probably be required at a later date perhaps.

Also a welcome to the forum and perhaps other members will advise differently.

Well, I have never seen a shed constructed that way before, so there must be a reason it hasn't been done.

I guess the shrinkage of the 3x2 would cause problems, and I can't believe its cheaper than a frame clad with OSB.

Pete

Apart from a real lack of structal integraty. How will you weather proof it?. Any water will sit on the joints and not run off.
3 inch of timber will probably not be as warm as 3 inches of insulation. Don't forget you can insulate and board the interior as funds allow. As long as the shell is up and weather tight, you will be fine.

Hi

I don't think it will work. I think you will struggle to build walls straight that way, I doubt all the timber will be square. The timber will warp and shrink. Water will also penetrate through the joins.

I would build a frame, put feather edge rather than ship lap on the outside as its cheaper. Line with 18mm OSB. Much better job.

Like this

shed-build-wip-t37824.html

Mark

I would have a re-think Superted,the idea might sound like a good one but i think you will just be wasting your money making a shed in the way that you propose, i agree that most of the big shed versions out there are very poorly made but the construction design in most is sound let down by cheap and cheerful construction methods ( thin wire staples will not do the same job as screws and underfelt is not suitable for a shed roof, i could go on but i think you know what i mean ). Use a similar design adapted to your needs and properly constructed with decent quality materials and methods would provide you with a perfectly servicable garden shed that should last for many years if properly looked after.

Many thanks for the reply guys and for raising some very good points, as said I was unsure of the cons to such a build, but all points raised make perfect sense.

Thanks for the link

I'm planning on buying a cheap shed and then shoring it up with extra bits of wood as I get money/time. Billyoh do them really cheaply. I doubt you'd get the materials for much less than that. And then the bulk of the work is done for you, you just have to fix a few bits and bobs.

I've built many sheds now, and consider the most effective system is to build from the inside out. Screw 2x2in treated softwood (or 2x3in for a bit more strength) to thin OSB sheets to make panels, with studs where you want the windows and doors. Assemble the panels, then insulate, waterproof with a membrane and clad. It's so quick. I too have bought cheap sheds and upgraded the interior afterwards, and that is quite a good method, but I suspect it costs more in the end and you tend to be battling with the original shed.

Nick

Your idea isn't completely off the wall - there are commercially produced versions using moulded timbers rather like heavyweight shiplap and overlapping notched corners. But the cost of the timber is a killer.

There was a thread about this topic towards the end of last year - might be worth a search. My recently completed shed was built in roughly the same way as our house(!) - frames of reclaimed 3 by 2 then clad with tanalised fencing rails nailed vertically in two staggered layers, with about 2" gaps between the boards in each layer (obviously, the gap in the inner layer is covered by the board in the outer :D ) The whole construction was about 8 feet square (dictated by the length of the reclaimed timber, and came in at well under £200. But fencing rails are pretty cheap up here; may not be the case elsewhere.
The only thing that got missed was to put Tyvek or similar between the inner boards and the frame; it's just awaiting accumulation of enough reclaimed ply to line on the inside with insulation in the gap.

And Wealden were looking to produce some cutters for exactly this job. Might be worth asking them about it. I can't recall what happened.

Look for free timber if funds are tight ..I know a factory who import metal from the USA in huge great crates made up of 4m x 30mm x 200mm planks - they have to pay to dispose of them & couldn't give them away fast enough the last I knew.

This might be rare but it's worth a look for someone near you.

Togalosh":3vq546op said:
Look for free timber if funds are tight

I don't know if there are wood recycling centres in Ireland, but I know of ones in Oxford, Brighton, St Albans and Bristol, all of which are likely to have both softwood and sheet materials ideal for shed building. They are superb social enterprises that use money you spend for valuable purposes.

Nick

I have a log cabin in our garden that my wife uses as a workshop for her work. I have a workshop next to our house at the back of the garage. We are in the process of swapping workshops.

My point is this. The log cabin is just over 2" thick wood but does not offer much insulation. The walls are 4m long and flex badly if you lean on them. I am seriously considering putting up false walls inside to aid insulation.

I have put up several sheds and the best is as Nick said. 3x2 studs OSB or ply lining inside with insulation between the studs. Surface mount all the electrics because you will want to change them as time goes on and it allows you to do them as funds allow

If you can stretch to it build the walls on dwarf brick built walls to stop the rain splashing up the bottom and rotting out the lowest shiplap.

Go to a shed place, look at how they construct them then just improve on their design.

Mick

I've a few more thoughts about this.

1. Don't forget guttering. Mick's point about protecting the bottom of the shiplap is a very good one.

2. Surface mounting electrics is very important. It's a real pain forgetting where you've run cables inside the walls. I'd go one further, and suggest you only use extension leads until you know where you want the sockets.

3. Have you considered buying a caravan? I recently picked up an old two-berther for £150 and it is now my wood store, and all the brilliant little cupboards are full of the tools and screws etc.. I don't need often, and there's a cooker for tea and a place to sit for designing!

Nick

Hi, Superted,

Did you build your shed? I've just started a thread with pretty much the same question.

Paul200 pointed me in the right direction for search term ('solid timber wall') and I found your posts and other things on google.

Seems it is a common technique in central Europe and known as "Brettstapel"http://www.brettstapel.org/Brettstapel/What_is_it.html

I'm thinking about doing this within a standard studframe and using pallet wood to build cheaply.

Mike

Latest posts

Back