Newbie seeking help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered previously, I've been back through the past year's posts and not found an answer.

I am new to scrolling and have recently bought an Axminster AWFS16 scroll saw (partly as a beginner to be sure that I enjoy scrolling and partly because having also turned my hand to joinery was unable to get a larger spend passed the accountant) and am using the pinless Pegasus blades supplied with it.

Having completed some exercises I decided to have a go at the 3D reindeer design on the link below

https://woodgears.ca/reindeer/scrollsaw_plans.html

My problems are thus:

I have noticed that the back of the blade has worn a small groove in the back of the plastic table insert. Is the blade tension not high enough or am I pushing the stock through the machine too hard? I don't personally think its either of these but I must be doing something wrong.

I have also noticed that while working, the blade ends up at an angle within the work piece as such that on the reindeer, the back legs got cut off. The saw table is set at the correct angle and doesn't happen every time I cut one of these, so again assume I'm doing something wrong rather than an issue with the saw.

Blade tension. it should ring when you pluck it.

I'd also suggest buying in some more blades, I'd expect that the blade you are using isn't the right TPI for the thickness of material you are cutting which wont help with the amount of pressure you are having to put in to move through it.

a blade with naturally want to wander (typically to the right) because of the way the teeth are set, this is more pronouced in thicker stock, more practice and you'll get the hang of it. :)

Hi. Welcome to the forum. When I read your post it brought back memories of when I first started. What you have experienced is part of the long learning curve. There are several things to take into account. On some saws the tablke insert may well move about when cutting wood. From what you are saying it sounds as if you have not got enough tension on the blade and when you push the wood it tends to bite into the insert. As Novocaine said, the blade does tender to wander to the right while you are cutting but the blade should remain straight, this is why I feel you have not got enough tension on the blade. Another thing to take into account is the type of wood you are cutting and the thickness. I use 20mm thick hardwoods and sometimes the angle I am pushing the wood can be as much as 15 degrees from the centre line of the table.

From past post on here the blades supplied with Axy saws are very good. A reverse toothed blade is a good ll rounder and in sizes 3, 5 and 7 will see you right for most projects. I feel the saw is okay that you are using, it's a matter of getting used to it. After a while you will instinctively know just how hard to push the wood and how the various blades behave. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

A very Warm Welcome to the Forum,and you have already had a post from Geoff,who has helped most of us in one way or another. :roll: I use P'egas blades most of the time,the reverse ones are really great.Hope to be of some help in the future, :roll:

Bryan

Pretty well second everything the others have said, tension, lots of it, you have checked table is square, have you checked whether your piece of wood is square? hope you get it sorted, have fun with your saw :)
Gill

A most interesting thread for me to save
My first post here after lots of reading the forum about woodwork and in particular scroll-saws

Retired gardener; this year I decided to have a go at woodwork, so far bought Hitachi router and used Trend router table
New Dewalt table saw and Metabo sliding chop-saw

I fancy a scroll-saw but can't decide which make or model; well you've all read that several times before !!

Lots of Hegner single speed models on the second hand market at present, eBay Gumtree etc
I get the feeling though that a variable speed model is preferred by most users

Hi Cordy A very warm Welcome to the forum,I could only afford the M1 single speed twenty and more years ago.It was better than the hand fretsaw,and has given me a lot of pleasure,and still does.If you can afford the variable speed then it would be good.There are a couple of members who also have a single speed Hegner and still enjoy this fabulous hobby.

Bryan

Hi Cordy
welcome to the site :)
I bought my very old hegner off ebay, and was lucky enough to get one with variable speed, and have never regretted it! I have certainly found that it has been very useful on many occasions to be able to adjust the speed of cut. It didn't come with the fancy blower and quick change clamps, which I bought new from hegner, and am really glad I did

Thank you all for the kind welcome.

The blade does give a good note when twanged but clearly not high enough, think that I was a little timid trying not to over tighten the blades.

The stock I'm using is square and as pointed out is wandering to the right in the lower half of the stock. Admittedly perhaps cutting the front profile of the reindeer is ambitious for both me and the saw As it is nearly and inch thick.

The good news is with thinner wood the saw cuts like a dream and is quite addictive. To cap it off I have a little reindeer that I'm quite proud of (although SWMBO wants more of them now).

Back