Newbie - quandry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhimages

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

i first posted a couple of weeks ago i have purchased an Awfs16, i also fitted the Olson quick change bits to replace the not very good axminster supplied pinless blade holders

my problem now is its a right pain to do internal cuts. to feed the blade properly you have to take the side off to ensure the blade holder still sits it the bracket of the lower arm

it xmas so

bearing in mind i am a hobbyist should i trreat myself to a hegner multicut 1 , single speed , or axminster awfs18?

would i eventually need variable speed?

most posts say variable is most useful for thinner materials but with care would a single speed be ok?

i am looking at the multicut 1 mainly due to size and weight , i scroll in spare bedroom so space is limited

your thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

merry Xmas etc to all

Depends on the size of things you want to make ( Throat size ) I would go for the hegner multicut 1 , A quality machine , Variable speed is a nice addition , good for cutting brass , alloys perspex etc

Just my opinion others will disagree

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the awfs16 , as a beginner what i have done so far is acceptable and at the price £86 its a bargain
but to move on to more demanding tasks i think i need to change it
maybe i should have saved up first but was worried investing £300+ on a first saw seemed a bit daunting in case i lost interest before progressing

gjhimages":bdyc7avm said:
it xmas so

bearing in mind i am a hobbyist should i trreat myself to a hegner multicut 1 , single speed , or axminster awfs18?

would i eventually need variable speed?

most posts say variable is most useful for thinner materials but with care would a single speed be ok?

My advice would be go for variable 100%, for cutting thin and delicate work you will find it invaluable, it's especially worthwhile for people new to fretsawing but is also good for experienced users.

Variable speed does cost a considerable amount more on a Hegner this is due to the fact that Hegner uses induction motors on it's machines which makes them much quieter and a heck of a lot more reliable, unfortunately it is a lot more costly for speed control on induction motors than the more usual series wound carbon brush type motors.

However even though it will cost more at the outset these machines are built to last a lifetime and you will soon forget the extra money you laid out for variable speed as you enjoy using the saw whereas if you buy the single speed you will always wish perhaps you had spent that bit extra for the variable speed model.

You only buy a Hegner once, it will last for many many years so it pays to buy the best at the outset.

It is not economically possible to upgrade a Hegner after purchase (short of swapping the machine).

One thing I can tell you is that you will not regret buying a Hegner, I still find mine a joy to use after 17 years and both my Grandchildren (age 9 and 13) use it safely, it's one of those machines that are a pleasure to use unlike some other noisy dangerous machines one has in ones workshop. Also in the unlikely event that you get fed up with it they do command high second hand value if you wish to sell it. (you won't want to part with it though!) :)

John

thanks for that scrimper
although the awfs18 is slightly cheaper than the muticut 1 variable space is a problem (and the weight)
think hegner is the way to go

by the way - love the videos

there is an axminster place in Warrington which is less than 60 mins away
may go between xmas and new year to take a look, the awfs looks 'hegner' like except its not red
problem with hegner is either buy 'unseen' from them or yandles in somerset which is a fair old journey just to take a look
a friend of mine who lives in ROI has an excalibur , would be tempted if i saw one in the flesh

gjhimages":3lngcpdc said:
...should I treat myself to a hegner multicut 1 , single speed , or axminster awfs18?

None of the above. Get a 2nd hand Delta.

Back