Newbie mdf question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Is mdf good enough to use as a jamb chuck? I have tons of small 18mm bits.

Hi

Yes MDF is pretty good for a lot of things - jam chucks, glue chucks, extending faceplates etc.

Just be careful when turning it - wear some protection against inhaling the dust.

Regards Mick

Spindle":74bhbi1a said:
Hi

Yes MDF is pretty good for a lot of things - jam chucks, glue chucks, extending faceplates etc.

Just be careful when turning it - wear some protection against inhaling the dust.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick, yep a face mask is the order of the day! :D

When making a glue chuck do you use a paper gasket between the surfaces and what glue would you use?

Hi

Three blobs of hot melt glue. When its time to remove the work I use a wallpaper scraper with a sharpened edge.

Regards Mick

Just make sure the hot melt is really fluid, should be hot enough to give you plenty of time to locate and clamp.
Rarely do I bother to break the joint, just reverse the piece and turn off the scrap and glue.

Hi

Just a little warning about hot glue sticks. Never leave them in a conservatory or garden shed. I made that mistake and ended up with a nice block of sanding sheets perfectly glued together where the glue had melted and dripped onto them :(

MDF is pretty brutal on your cutting edges, as well as being dusty. You will need to resharpen more often when turning it.

It can also de-laminate on you if you put too much stress on it.

HTH
Jon

I wouldn't use MDF as a jam or sticky chuck. When turned at speed any sideways pressure makes it unstable. it has a tendency to split and you could have a nasty accident.

I've used MDF in the past as glue chucks, but had one delaminate on me and the piece I had nearly finished got bounced all round the shed. I tend to use waste timber these days. Em-Doof served me well enough for a while, but I reckon it got damp on me which caused it to disintegrate.

edit: Golly! Just realised how old this thread is.

Back