Newbie here, from London.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ems

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm Emily, my friends call me Ems.
I m a crafter. I thought to join a community to learn, share and ask for advice.
Not really a pro I mostly do small DIY jobs around the house, enjoying my power tools. Atm I'm attempting to build my own "tall slim shed" from an ex canvas wardrobe. Crossifingers.🤞🏼😉

Hi Emily welcome- a canvas wardrobe as a shed - interesting idea is it for storage or working in 😊😊
Hi Bingy man, so nice to meet you. It's for storage to be placed outside. When I 'm done I will post "before and after" pixies.😉🙂

Hi everyone I'm Emily, my friends call me Ems.
I m a crafter. I thought to join a community to learn, share and ask for advice.
Not really a pro I mostly do small DIY jobs around the house, enjoying my power tools. Atm I'm attempting to build my own "tall slim shed" from an ex canvas wardrobe. Crossifingers.🤞🏼😉
Hi Emily

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, I'm not a pro either, woodwork for me is more of a necessary evil as part of a broader project. Doesn't really matter, this is a broad accepting community so if in my case I say "this is an electrical enclosure" it doesn't cause screams of anguish any more than kitchen fitting or indeed the more artistic projects.

I first read your introduction a couple of days ago and left it because I laughed when I thought of converting a canvas wardrobe into a shed. When I reflect on it now it seems an interesting and completely workable idea.

I would hope this has a solid wooden frame to attach to and you'll probably need a fully stressed construction, where the outer skin is itself load bearing, but I don't see why it can't work.

Hi ajs,
Thank you very much for the welcome. I'm a little nervous, but also thrilled and excited to be part of such a broader community of adventurous, passionate DIY peeps, and enjoy the wisdom coming my way🤗

I know, telling you the truth I just did not want the canvas to go to waste, and I needed something as a storage to keep my tools, paints, etc...; plus the structure was just the right fit for the space I have available,( not alot) so I thought why not? Atm I'm getting aquatinted with my last purchase, a table saw to make the the door and planks to strengthen the canvas on the sides and back. Let's see how it goes 😁 Can't wait for the weekend to carry on my project.🤞🏼

Hi ajs,
Thank you very much for the welcome. I'm a little nervous, but also thrilled and excited to be part of such a broader community of adventurous, passionate DIY peeps, and enjoy the wisdom coming my way🤗

I know, telling you the truth I just did not want the canvas to go to waste, and I needed something as a storage to keep my tools, paints, etc...; plus the structure was just the right fit for the space I have available,( not alot) so I thought why not? Atm I'm getting aquatinted with my last purchase, a table saw to make the the door and planks to strengthen the canvas on the sides and back. Let's see how it goes 😁 Can't wait for the weekend to carry on my project.🤞🏼
Hi there again, not wanting to put you off ( your latest purchase) but please take care especially if this is your 1st t/saw . Use all safety equipment reqd for such a tool, don’t attempt large sheet goods or long lengths without assistance and only after you feel confident to do so . There are plenty of threads on this site regarding safe use and are more reliable than some of the utube videos. Take care and safety first always.👍👍

Hi there again, not wanting to put you off ( your latest purchase) but please take care especially if this is your 1st t/saw . Use all safety equipment reqd for such a tool, don’t attempt large sheet goods or long lengths without assistance and only after you feel confident to do so . There are plenty of threads on this site regarding safe use and are more reliable than some of the utube videos. Take care and safety first always.👍👍
Hi Bingy,
You are not putting me off at all,I'm actually grateful for the advice, and very appreciative of the warning. I knew I was on the right to join. 😉

Yes it is my first table saw, and I am being very cautious, but I need to start somewhere right? I m watching a lot of YT videos for small planks, but I will for sure have a look to the threads you suggested, and I will only use the saw when I feel that I can manage and with all the proper safety guidelines. 🙂👍🏼 I sure do not want loose any fingers 😁

Hi Bingy,
You are not putting me off at all,I'm actually grateful for the advice, and very appreciative of the warning. I knew I was on the right to join. 😉

Yes it is my first table saw, and I am being very cautious, but I need to start somewhere right? I m watching a lot of YT videos for small planks, but I will for sure have a look to the threads you suggested, and I will only use the saw when I feel that I can manage and with all the proper safety guidelines. 🙂👍🏼 I sure do not want loose any fingers 😁
💯 I have a dewalt jobsite table saw and after setting it up I didn’t use it for about a week. Then when I did the noise was a bit more than I expected but stuck with it . Had my first lesson in kickback a few days later and again that put me off but as you say we all have to start somewhere. Some of the y/t videos are decent but a lot seam to be from over the pond where they have a different approach to safety to the uk. Be very aware of distractions ( kids , pets , mobile phone etc) . Do a dummy run ( power off to your saw) and just go through the motions to prove what you are planning to do can be done . No point having all the safety gear and taking all the precautions and then sending a length of timber through your saw only to realise you have run out of space . As with any machine give it time -start small and go steady and never get complacent. Before using it take your time to set it up as accurate as you can as this will save you time in the long run . Most of all enjoy 😊

Hi ajs,

If you want to keep the canvas I'd suggest looking at cellulose dope - the same thing used to treat the fabric covering of vintage aircraft. That will shrink the canvas taut over the supporting frame, waterproof it and toughen it up. You'll have to come up with other arrangements for the door.

💯 I have a dewalt jobsite table saw and after setting it up I didn’t use it for about a week. Then when I did the noise was a bit more than I expected but stuck with it . Had my first lesson in kickback a few days later and again that put me off but as you say we all have to start somewhere. Some of the y/t videos are decent but a lot seam to be from over the pond where they have a different approach to safety to the uk. Be very aware of distractions ( kids , pets , mobile phone etc) . Do a dummy run ( power off to your saw) and just go through the motions to prove what you are planning to do can be done . No point having all the safety gear and taking all the precautions and then sending a length of timber through your saw only to realise you have run out of space . As with any machine give it time -start small and go steady and never get complacent. Before using it take your time to set it up as accurate as you can as this will save you time in the long run . Most of all enjoy 😊
Thank you Bingy for the very helpful tips. I have fur babies but whenever I do any project I keep them safe outside or in the living room. Haha, great idea trying with the power off the various steps, indeed I am still in the introductive stage, so I'm studying the tool very slowly and carefully before I even attempt to use it. Like you said it takes sometime and a little of awareness to get into that zone of confidence, I' m not rushing. Any other ideas or tips please let me know, so far you have been a Godsend. I will surely enjoy and keep you posted about my progress. 👍🏼🙂🤞🏼

If you want to keep the canvas I'd suggest looking at cellulose dope - the same thing used to treat the fabric covering of vintage aircraft. That will shrink the canvas taut over the supporting frame, waterproof it and toughen it up. You'll have to come up with other arrangements for the door.
Hi ajs,
I will look into it, thanks. Can you be more specific when you say other arrangements about the door?

Back