New Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No updates in ages but doesn't mean I haven't been busy.

Haven't been able to spend as much time on this as I needed but the current status is all OSB boarding complete. Rubber roof on and complete (bar some minor trims).

Acquired some UPVC trims today for creating the base drip edge and am hoping to have the whole thing wrapped and (maybe) the bifolds in by the end of tomorrow.

publicpreview.php

I don't have many pictures. Which is a shame as I would love to have shown you my contraption for getting the rubber up on the roof. It used the same joist ramp as I used for getting OSB up there but also had a one way brake on it just in case I let it slip (the roll of rubber weighed a ton!).

I'm not sure EPDM is actually worth all the effort (and cost) after doing this though. Very hard to do on my own. I have 2 patches on my knees where there's no skin left whatsoever. The end result isn't perfect but I'm happy with it.

Doors looking good. Currently trying to decide what I'm doing with my doors!

How did you attach the building wrap, lots of staples? Did you tape edges? Is the wrap taken inside the door flashing? Should have finished the shed Osb clad and be on to the building wrap this weekend, so pointers would be great.

Also hoping to get the EPDM roof on if the weather holds, not looking forward to the knee pain/rub, but been committed to the system for too long to turn back now.

Cheers

Fitz.

I used a slap stapler for membrane, it was a really quick process with that.

Nice build, really liking the amount of natural light the doors will bring in there.

I stapled the wrap with a stanley electric stapler and stainless steel staples. This was most entertaining to do on my own. The bottom wrap was relatively easy but the top (highest) one was achieved by clamped a broom to a ladder and walk it around the building ahead of me stapling it :eek:

Have 4 rolls of edge tape and forgot to use it :( Not sure this will be an issue as I would like vertical cladding and the battens will fall pretty much on the edges. I can't see the wall getting that wet with the amount of overhang I have on the roof.

I folded the membrane all the way inside.

I have a whole unopened roll of the same membrane (and the 4 rolls of said tape) if anyone would like to buy it off me for a fair price.

I lost the skin completely off one knee (and most of the other) doing the EPDM :O The only advice I can give to laying it is to make sure you have someone to help. Doing it a half a roof at a time meant I had a lot of glue to get down very quickly and, as it was a very warm day, it went off in some places too soon :(

I'm hoping the shrinkage (10% apparently) will hide the flaws. But its a roof - no one can see it and it's perfectly water tight.

I'm still at a loss as to what to clad it in. In my head I have vertical planks with a slight gap in between - ideally in cedar - but its too bloomin expensive. Might end up in shiplap :(

Shiplap it was. Took 2 weekends to do 3 sides. Was spray painting the left in the dark after the clocks went back :(

publicpreview.php

If it's dry tomorrow I will hopefully finish the back and make and paint the corner trims.

Once the cladding is out of the way I will be ordering the 100mm Celotex. The floor is all done (OSB topped with caberdek) though I need to either paint it or put a coating or lino on it at some point.

Any suggestions for what I should do for the inside walls ? It's looking like either plaster board or plywood atm - each have their own downsides though.

Latest posts

Back