new toy arrives today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhimages

Established Member
Reaction score
i have decided to dip my toes into scrolling and to that end have purchased an axminster hobby awfs16. IF and thats a big if i can actually make something which looks presentable , i may be tempted to spend a little more
i have a mate who has an excalibur 21 and some of his pieces have inspired me to 'have a go' , i would have tried out his machine but he does not reside in the Uk and only visits 2/3 times a year.
wish me luck on my journey
thanks
G

it seems to me that scrolling takes an immense amount of patience and a lot of fine fiddling cleaning parts up, it is time consuming, absorbing and totally addictive but then never given it much thought, hee hee.

Great stuff G now watch how you get addicted to scroll saws!

Cheers
Brian
Ps what does the G stand for? I hate calling people by an initial :cool:

Sorry name is Gary
Unpacked saw ,looking good , runs really quietly
Which is a good thing as plan to test out on dining table tomorrow

Nice one Gary...... just put your foot down and tell her straight! the sooner you can get started the sooner you can make her a beautiful gift! works all the time lol
ps try sticking a rubber car mat under your saw when testing on the table.....cuts vibration and noise and no scratches to the tabletop

Brian

Welcome Gary enjoy the scrolling. I am not allowed to use the dinning table as the Mrs does crafts and I get told that I have taken over the rest of the house and thats her only refuge but I will give it a go but I recon she might get a bit fiesty so will be looking to you for a bit of advice and support.

managed to make some room in spare bedroom amongst partners sewing stuff and grandsons crafting (Mess) area
done a few practice cuts

straight and wavy lines ok

how the hell do you turn sharp corners? looked on net and tried but still no joy

can go out of wood and back in but sometimes you don't want to do that

at the moment using pin end blades which came with saw

would thinner plain end help?

Totally agree with Naz regarding blades I use Pegas number 3/5 and now and again 9 Skip blades from Axminster they are cheap and their postage is only £1.00.
To do tight turns I slow down my pressure to virtually standstill and gradually turn and press to follow the lines (don't have your saw on full speed as that will make it harder to control until you have mastered the technique, all of a sudden you will get the knack of it and then there's no stopping ya)
Pinless blades are better because they can easily pass through drilled holes for doing inside cuts.

Cheers
Brian

I have all this to go through soon. I have a hegner, but only ever used it a couple times on metal.
bansdaws in miniature!

Latest posts

Back