New T&G Pine Floorboards...why so difficult?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is you get what you pay for in life, good quality timber earns good money. I think either you need to re think what you want and go for a cheaper option or wait and save up more cash. Reclamation would be a good source but they still come out quit deer. I think what happens alot of the time is people move into old houses packed with bags of character and don't realise how much money they eat up. good luck my friend.

Just a quick update. Experiment time. 4 weeks ago I bought a 1500mm length of the redwood T&G flooring from Champion Timber. This has been layed flat, on spacers, in the front room for that period. It has developed a SLIGHT cupping. About 1mm over it's 143mm face, but nothing that a secret nailing or screwing couldnt take out. Encouraged by this, I bought 2 more lengths at 3m...3 days ago...to continue the experiment. I will check these lengths from time to time. Both came reasonably flat. They are stacked with timber spacers to give them fair chance and I've even been flicking on the heating each night for an hour or so...(much to my OH's bemusement!)
My gut feeling at the moment says that this timber will work, though I am aware that a few proper seasons could change my mind. I'm also thinking..and I may be wrong..if I'm buying the whole 30m sq, it would be best to buy soon, before the really damp air comes with autumn/winter. In my mind, that timber would need even more acclimatizing. It's covered at the timber yard, but open to the atmosphere of course. Looking at the rack at Champion, I was quite impressed with the pine itself. It has very few knots, splits, bows and cups, even at 4.5m...and the guy did say that it was a premium grade.
This was the second Champion Timber near me...and what a difference with the staff there. Seemed much more knowledgeable and very helpful. '30 lengths at 3.5m sir...no problem.'... Now that's what I want to hear. This was the first timber yard that actually told ME that plywood was not graded or called WBP anymore...but that was their mistake, which they probably regretted immediately, as I then cross examined them on Plywood codes EN-314 part 2/ grades 1/2 & 3. So tho I left them a lot wiser than before I visited...it will mean that the next time I go down there...they will all be seen quickly scurrying to the nearest dark dingy corner :shock: ...or will be 'on lunch'. I tend to have this effect on people, ha! :lol: :mrgreen:
So, at the moment, it does look a possible go'er.

Back