New saw arrives tomorrow.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodndrum":2ddafvmj said:
Hmmm points to ponder,
Blade changing, I used that term to also cover the act of relocating the blade from one internal cut, to the next one. Sorry if that caused confusion. A project like my aviator might have 80 or more internal cuts. I'll leave you to do the arithmetic. So yes I do consider this a problem.

I cut a loco with around 400 internal cuts, so I recognise the problem.

Yes wedging a piece of wood into the end of the saw arm would work. So too would cable ties or tape. However the blade block is designed to pivot an swing to give a perpendicular stroke. A pendulum stroke would be much less accurate and would undo the benefit of decent blades.

I was thinking of something to stop the clamp dropping down while the blade was fed through a hole, rather than to wedge it in place. Rather like the Hegner setup.

Yes New blade holders could be obtained, they might or might not work. Certainly they would invalidate a warranty.

How would spare blade clamps invalidate the warranty? You could hardly be penalised for using their own spares. I know at least 3 Hegner owners that have spare clamps to make blade changing quicker.

I admire all of your inventiveness and am truly grateful for the help offered. Some of the ideas may well give my obsolete Rexon Saw another month or two. Am I the the only one on the Forum who expects a £360 (ish) machine to work faultlessly out of the box, and without modification? I'm glad that the supplier has a similar view to me, and the machine will shortly be on its way back, for a full refund.

I don't think anyone would expect to buy any machine at any cost and expect to have to modify it - unless it was a Harley-Davidson. It's the nature of forums that people like to come up with ideas, they don't have to be acted on, and sometimes they aren't even serious, but just maybe the ideas will be of use to someone who bought and decided to keep one of these saws and searched for the answer to a problem.

I really think everyone would hope you could return the saw as you obviously weren't happy with it and I hope you have better luck with your next one.

P.S. You wouldn't by any chance now be in the market for a 26" Diamond scroll saw, would you? :wink:

Keith, I had a look at the saw's user manual on Axminster's site and the method it outlines for doing internal cuts doesn't involve removing the blade clamps.

I'm not trying to contradict you or anything - you have the saw. I don't. - it would be a shame to return what seems to be an otherwise excellent saw if the problem could be sorted out.

woodndrum":136dykuw said:
Hmmm points to ponder,
Blade changing, I used that term to also cover the act of relocating the blade from one internal cut, to the next one. Sorry if that caused confusion. A project like my aviator might have 80 or more internal cuts. I'll leave you to do the arithmetic. So yes I do consider this a problem.

Yes wedging a piece of wood into the end of the saw arm would work. So too would cable ties or tape. However the blade block is designed to pivot an swing to give a perpendicular stroke. A pendulum stroke would be much less accurate and would undo the benefit of decent blades.

Yes New blade holders could be obtained, they might or might not work. Certainly they would invalidate a warranty.

I admire all of your inventiveness and am truly grateful for the help offered. Some of the ideas may well give my obsolete Rexon Saw another month or two. Am I the the only one on the Forum who expects a £360 (ish) machine to work faultlessly out of the box, and without modification? I'm glad that the supplier has a similar view to me, and the machine will shortly be on its way back, for a full refund.

Customer service is when the client comes back, and the product doesn't.

I would expect you saw to work faultlessly out of the box and from your review it would seem that it does.
When disconnecting the blade for internal cuts it does not need to be removed completely and laid out into the holes in the table just the top clamp can be released leaving the blade in the saw.
As said above it's your choice to do what you think is right.
If I have misunderstood the problem just forget I got involved.

Latest posts

Back