New No.4 smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogiBear

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new smoother, I had been looking at the LN and veritas but came across quangsheng the other day for the first time. Had a look at a few reviews on the internet etc. They are much cheaper but are they anywhere near as good? I can pretty much get a jack as well for the same price as the LN.

Any advice is much appreciated, Cheers

RogiBear":1g5eldfi said:
I'm looking to buy a new smoother, I had been looking at the LN and veritas but came across quangsheng the other day for the first time. Had a look at a few reviews on the internet etc. They are much cheaper but are they anywhere near as good? I can pretty much get a jack as well for the same price as the LN.

Any advice is much appreciated, Cheers

Are you looking for a "full on" dedicated smoother, aimed purely at finish planing, or a general purpose medium size plane?

BugBear

The new Stanley SW 4 cuts just as well as the LV QS LN alternatives including low angle options.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LTUOI6
Unfortunately it has a very stupid Norris style of adjuster but in spite of that it's good (best?) value for money. The LN and LV adjusters aren't too good either. The Bailey pattern is still tops - the Stanley 4 could have been the best of the bunch - everything else about it is spot on.

bugbear":14mkuzmt said:
Are you looking for a "full on" dedicated smoother, aimed purely at finish planing, or a general purpose medium size plane?

BugBear

To be honest a little bit of both. I will need it to plane down some ash, and then also to finish off some exotics such as ebony, and various burrs.

Jacob":3ginpxuq said:
The new Stanley SW 4 cuts just as well as the LV QS LN alternatives including low angle options.
Unfortunately it has a very stupid Norris style of adjuster but in spite of that it's good (best?) value for money. The LN and LV adjusters aren't too good either. The Bailey pattern is still tops - the Stanley 4 could have been the best of the bunch - everything else about it is spot on.

I had seen this, but I had been put off stanleys from previous experiences. Do you own one? How do find it?

You ask about Quangsheng as a maker and whether they are any good. My opinion (based on the one Quangsheng plane I own) is that Yes, they can. This seems to be the consensus view around here.

But remember that many manufacturers will vary their quality - or their quality control - according to the demands of the customer. So the products they send to a demanding retailer who wants satisfied repeat customers may not be the same as they send to another retailer who just wants the biggest margin.

You'll find that Matthew Platt posts on here quite frequently and has generally been supportive and helpful to the forum. He also runs a business (Workshop Heaven) which sells these planes. Many forum members have decided to buy their planes from him. I'll let you make your own conclusions!

I also have that same Stanley SW. Apart from the adjuster the only other thing I dislike about it is the weight! It's very heavy - which can be seen as an advantage and a disadvantage. One thing is for sure: all of the Planes thus far mentioned work. . . and they all work extremely well.
I also own a Veritas and a Quangsheng Block plane. They are all very well made. The Quangsheng blade is at least as good as the blade in the Veritas.
At the end of the day if you can't do decent work with these Planes you will have been very unlucky and bought a Friday afternoon shift example or you need a few lessons in Plane blade sharpening. If that is the case then please feel free to spend the rest of your life reading up on the best method.

I have a qs block Rebait and can't complain about it nice and heavy thick blade and cuts a thin shaving what else could you want

Russ

AndyT":35bu38j8 said:
You'll find that Matthew Platt posts on here quite frequently and has generally been supportive and helpful to the forum. He also runs a business (Workshop Heaven) which sells these planes. Many forum members have decided to buy their planes from him. I'll let you make your own conclusions!

That's actually where I came across them, while looking at their timber supply. Sounds as though that's probably the place to get one.

Thanks for the replies. From the few already it sounds as though the qs are fairly decent and will do the job. I suppose though, the real question are the other two I mentioned any better? ie are they worth the extra money or should I save and get a qs?

RogiBear":2k6ja1st said:
Jacob":2k6ja1st said:

I had seen this, but I had been put off stanleys from previous experiences. Do you own one? How do find it?
Yes I own one. How do I find it - see above.

RogiBear":swr4pagg said:
bugbear":swr4pagg said:

BugBear

To be honest a little bit of both. I will need it to plane down some ash, and then also to finish off some exotics such as ebony, and various burrs.

Hmm. The requirments of the latter may require a level of setup and tuning that are not trivial; detuning for the former is possible, but you may find it more convenient to have a (cheaper?) everyday plane, and a pure-finish plane.

My recommendation for your as stated requirements would be be a pre 1950 Record #04 from eBay as a general purpose plane, and a Veritas bevel up smoother as a dedicated finish plane.

As a completely separate way of addressing the issue, Workshop Heaven have a "Quangsheng No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane with three irons" offer at 150 quid.

BugBear

Hello,

Modern Stanley Bailey No 4's are hideous garbage and should be avoided at ALL costs. I cannot stress the fact enough, it would put anyone of woodwork for life. QS are good value and will make shavings from the box and put a smile on your face. LN and Veritas are excellent, if you want to spend more. don't be put off by Norris style adjusters; they are precise and finely adjustable and stay set nicely. it is just a matter of preference, so if you can try before you buy, then do.

Don't forget that you will need sharpening stones if you don't have any already, so budget for these. You will find that they will be a reasonable part of the outlay, but essential.

Mike.

bugbear":1zo45l2r said:
Hmm. The requirments of the latter may require a level of setup and tuning that are not trivial; detuning for the former is possible, but you may find it more convenient to have a (cheaper?) everyday plane, and a pure-finish plane.

My recommendation for your as stated requirements would be be a pre 1950 Record #04 from eBay as a general purpose plane, and a Veritas bevel up smoother as a dedicated finish plane.

As a completely separate way of addressing the issue, Workshop Heaven have a "Quangsheng No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane with three irons" offer at 150 quid.

BugBear

Ok, never had a play with a bevel up. Rather that the low angle jack, is it possible to use a higher frog angle instead in the smoother?

woodbrains":45j9ffzn said:
Hello,

Modern Stanley Bailey No 4's are hideous garbage and should be avoided at ALL costs. I cannot stress the fact enough, it would put anyone of woodwork for life. QS are good value and will make shavings from the box and put a smile on your face. LN and Veritas are excellent, if you want to spend more. don't be put off by Norris style adjusters; they are precise and finely adjustable and stay set nicely. it is just a matter of preference, so if you can try before you buy, then do.

Don't forget that you will need sharpening stones if you don't have any already, so budget for these. You will find that they will be a reasonable part of the outlay, but essential.

Mike.

Any pointers for a decent set of stones?

Jacob":23cy03w2 said:
The new Stanley SW 4 cuts just as well as the LV QS LN alternatives ....
Unfortunately it has a very stupid Norris style of adjuster but in spite of that it's good (best?) value for money. The LN and LV adjusters aren't too good either.
Yebbit, the LN planes use the same adjuster as the Stanley Baileys of yore....

woodbrains":23cy03w2 said:
Hello,

Modern Stanley Bailey No 4's are hideous garbage and should be avoided at ALL costs. I cannot stress the fact enough, it would put anyone of woodwork for life.
Yebbit, nobody has suggested he buy one of them. Jacob suggested the Stanley SW No.4, which is built to a better standard (still not quite as good as LN, LV and Clifton).

Go on, buy a Clifton - keep your fellow countrymen employed. I've a Clifton No.3 for a finishing smoother and it's a beauty (I mean it works well... :oops: ).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3coszxxi said:
Jacob":3coszxxi said:
Unfortunately it has a very stupid Norris style of adjuster but in spite of that it's good (best?) value for money. The LN and LV adjusters aren't too good either.
Yebbut I meant the low angle ones. Obsolete norris adjusters. Look good, don't work good.
woodbrains":3coszxxi said:
Hello,

Modern Stanley Bailey No 4's are hideous garbage and should be avoided at ALL costs. I cannot stress the fact enough, it would put anyone of woodwork for life.
Yebbit, nobody has suggested he buy one of them. Jacob suggested the Stanley SW No.4, which is built to a better standard (still not quite as good as LN, LV and Clifton).
I think the essentials are as good, it cuts just as well,* it's just the adjuster which is poor.

*PS this makes it the best option if good performance is priority

Jacob":14mihaij said:
Vann":14mihaij said:
Jacob":14mihaij said:
Yebbut I meant the low angle ones. Obsolete norris adjusters. Look good, don't work good.
Yebbut, I don't think LN make any planes with Norris style adjusters. Even their low angle smoother has a Bailey style adjuster wheel...

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3ojsqja0 said:
.....Yebbut, I don't think LN make any planes with Norris style adjusters. Even their low angle smoother has a Bailey style adjuster wheel...

Cheers, Vann.
Looks more Norris than Bailey to me http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=62
They have wisely omitted the lateral adjustment, which on the LV LA planes simply doesn't work.

Back