New Member Brian

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianatBisley

Reaction score
I moved to the UK from Canada about 5 years ago. I had a lot to learn about the differences between building materials and techniques in Canada and the UK. I have most of my equipment working but still have a couple of big machines with 60hz motors gathering dust. Working in metric in the land of 50hz. It took a while but I think I can source all of my old favourite materials now. I used a lot of laminates in Canada (formica) and they are tricky to find here. Slow American glue is also tricky to find. Here everything is 'fast' dry. You don't want that if you have a 20 piece glue up to clamp and get square. I am learning to stockpile timber whenever it becomes available. Dry hardwood seems like a valuable commodity. Stainless steel is really expensive. I brought some from Canada and I am sorry I didn't bring more. My next projects, after I get my Harrison Lathe and Chinese metal band saw up and running will be outdoor furniture. I know it sounds crazy, but I import things from the US. The material comes in on pallets. The pallets are made of Red Oak. About 90% of the Red Oak is clear. I am going to plane it and glue it to double the thickness. I think it would be great for outdoor furniture. Just have to find a source of epoxy resin in quantity.

Welcome to the forum. Just to say I imported a Dewalt 746 saw from the US because they offered dual 110/ 240 voltage. It runs at 50 hertz of course but you really wouldn't notice. In theory it is a little slower but that has no effect on the functionality of the saw. As for glue I can recommend one hour setting polyurethane if you don't mind the mess. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum . Unfortunately most things are now expensive in the uk . Over the last few years it’s almost criminal how prices have exploded..

I moved to the UK from Canada about 5 years ago. I had a lot to learn about the differences between building materials and techniques in Canada and the UK. I have most of my equipment working but still have a couple of big machines with 60hz motors gathering dust. Working in metric in the land of 50hz. It took a while but I think I can source all of my old favourite materials now. I used a lot of laminates in Canada (formica) and they are tricky to find here. Slow American glue is also tricky to find. Here everything is 'fast' dry. You don't want that if you have a 20 piece glue up to clamp and get square. I am learning to stockpile timber whenever it becomes available. Dry hardwood seems like a valuable commodity. Stainless steel is really expensive. I brought some from Canada and I am sorry I didn't bring more. My next projects, after I get my Harrison Lathe and Chinese metal band saw up and running will be outdoor furniture. I know it sounds crazy, but I import things from the US. The material comes in on pallets. The pallets are made of Red Oak. About 90% of the Red Oak is clear. I am going to plane it and glue it to double the thickness. I think it would be great for outdoor furniture. Just have to find a source of epoxy resin in quantity.
Sorry Brian but you are in a 3rd world country now.

Welcome Brian, you must know my younger brother, Paul; he lives in Canada!!!

Back