New guy - building a 12 x 6 shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIESELMAN

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I AM looking for some advice and guidance on building a 12 x 6 shed in my garden. My original intention was to leave this until next year but with a baby due in 8 months and our spare room currently being used to store bikes, sports equipment and my tools, that's not going to fly.

I have a solid base in the garden, which is mostly full of hard-core and will have paving slabs set on top.I have two options for building a shed purchase, or build it my self.

Firstly, purchasing:

I have found that BillyOh make what appears to be the perfect shed for me, a 12 x 6 pent roof with T and G cladding priced at around £500.

However some reviews are really rather terrible, has anyone on here had any experience? Some of them read as if they thought they were buying a £2k outhouse or something along them lines, but a shed turned up.

Secondly, building

The above shed uses 27mm x 27mm framework,is this suitable for a self build or should I go to a more standard 3x2 for example?

If 27mm what spacing should be used between the verticle members? There seems to be limited information on using small timbre dimensions and spacing online.

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to being a member of the forum.

Hi and welcome.

I think 27mm square for the frame is too small. I built a small lean-to shed with attached log store a couple of years ago and used 3x2 for the vertical members and cross pieces at the base and roof. I think anything smaller would not have been up to the job.

27mm framework is at the very budget end of sheds.

If you dont have a lot of spare time, buy a ready made shed, but I would suggest researching a bit more.

A budget shed can be perfectly useable and if its just for storage, may be fine for your needs.

Making you own shed wont save you money, but it will be a much more substantial building, for the cost of buying a budget off the shelf.

27mm square!! There should be a law against that. That's a joke. I wouldn't build a metres square chicken coop out of stuff that small.

I'd advocate building it yourself. It will probably work out cheaper anyway, and you'll get a decent building out of it. There are two basic rules: raise it off the ground on a plinth (2 course of bricks, min), and batten out on the outside of the frame/ membrane before fitting the boards. Those two actions will add decades to the life of the building.

I'm just in the final throes of finishing my 8x6 Shires shiplap pent shed. Without all the stop/starts due to the rain it would have taken two days including a couple of coats of wood seal drying. Everything provided for £342.
A couple of problems, two left hand parts, soon rectified, clout nails far too short even for a layer of felt. The roof wouldn't seat so had to change 3 end pieces for thinner wood. Two parts of facia missing, must have miss counted when delivered. Roof and floor is OSB but enough T&G left over from my old shed to cover the floor. Old shed was from Shires and 19 years old.
It sounds like a few problems but nothing difficult to overcome and it was a good price. Couldn't have built one from scratch in that time just check the inventory when delivered. Just the floor to do now for me.
Billy Oh sheds don't normally have a floor so you'd have to factor in that.
HTH, Rob

Back