New chuck for pillar drill recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLuck

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased an old walker turner bench drill earlier this year, it looks similar to this one.
1947%20Walker%20Turner%20drill%20press%20sm.jpg.opt602x802o0,0s602x802.jpg

Unfortunately it had a lot of run out, about 3mm!!! Fortunately it was just the chuck. After removing it I am left with a Jacobs Taper 33 machined directly onto the spindle.

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a chuck to fit this taper? I have looked on google but am not sure what is a good chuck or not. I found a Jacobs Chuck but this was £55 which is half the price I paid for the drill.

All suggestions welcomed, good or bad makes / suppliers etc.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion. Annoyingly the chuck that has the runout is a Jacobs chuck, however if it is as old as the drill that makes it around 60 years old, and I recon it wasn't treated too well. Having ordered cheap tools before and swearing I'd never do it again I parted with 50 big ones and have a new Jacobs chuck in the post. Hopefully this one will outlive me!

I paid around £45 for a NuTool bench drill - brand new. Of course there's a reason for the low price.

£45? What a Bargain. You can't get a decent chuck for that, never mind the whole drill. Well I found out that I don't have a decent chuck, or a decent motor or anything else for that matter. It's OK for rough work I suppose - just, but I wouldn't buy another.

K

graduate_owner":d9fkydrm said:
I paid around £45 for a NuTool bench drill - brand new. Of course there's a reason for the low price.

£45? What a Bargain. You can't get a decent chuck for that, never mind the whole drill. Well I found out that I don't have a decent chuck, or a decent motor or anything else for that matter. It's OK for rough work I suppose - just, but I wouldn't buy another.

K

I agree, but you have to spend a lot more on a new drill to get real quality. I've got a Ryobi which isn't particularly good; it's noisy, has about 0.2mm run out, and has a laser positioning system that's about 0.5mm out (in other words literally worse than useless as it's close enough to tempt you into using it but inaccurate enough that if you do you'll never get the job done right!).

I intend to upgrade, but to be absolutely sure of getting a really good machine I'll have to go all the way to a Medding...gulp!

I did a lot of research before purchasing the walker turner. The general conclusion of my research was that if I wanted to waste some money and workshop space but a cheap £200-300 new pillar drill. I couldn't find a cheapish drill that consistently got good reviews. My walker turner is about 60 years old, its body is cast iron, it's extremely heavy and stable, simply constructed (less to go wrong) and now with the Jacobs chuck has less that 0.1mm run out, which for my needs is acceptable. It has a very quiet and powerful motor, can't remember the name but Sheffield made in the good days. It also only cost £80. One day I'll restore it back to its former glory but for now it works great as it is. I'd highly recommend if you can find one on ebay.

Just checked runout on the walker turner, it has 0.06mm. Motor is a Brook Crompton Gryphon, not sure of hp/watts as the plates got too much old paint on it.

Just make sure that everything is properly lubricated before you start using it. That will make your fine drill press last much longer. If the outside of the quill is kept slightly oiled or greased it will not get sloppy as fast as it would if it is run dry iron against iron.

GOOD LUCK with a fine machine.

Latest posts

Back