New chuck about to hit market - thoughts ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it looks interesting but I reckon you could probably buy 2 of the new Axminster Evolution chucks for that price.

I think I know which of those two options I'd rather have :wink:

Jon

verney":32czx25d said:

This will probably equate to £500 by the time it is on sale here. Of course, you have to have special jaw sets as the carrier system is totally different to anything else and I note that dovetail jaws are $90, which will probably mean £90 when on sale in UK.

Not for me thanks - I will stick to my Supernova and Sorby chucks.

An odd coincidence that Teknatool are bringing out a quick change chuck as well - http://www.teknatool.com/Infinity_quick_change.htm

One US forum post quotes $360.

Given that it takes probably less than 2 minutes to put new jaws on to my current jaw slides I can't see it being worth the expense. Or I could just mount another chuck - 3 chucks with different jaws and 3 other jaw sets to choose from certainly makes it quick enough for me!

By the time you get a full kit your broke I for one cant justify that sort of money just to save a few minutes I'm a tight ol git LOL

Beside the price,

What do you think of the concept ? - im not sure i'd be confidant in the hold, with the jaws seemingly only help on by the tension of a spring against a lip.

My chucks are all full of dust, grime, stains and spray paint also, and work fine. I wonder how this really would cope outside of a clean room ?

The new Teknatool chuck doesn't have the quick adjustment ring of the Easy-chuck which is a neat idea - Just the click-in jaws. So it's a half-way house in some sense.

Like Loz I think there could be issues with the locking mechanism so I'll be sticking to my Axi chucks with dedicated jaw carriers. I think that the click in jaws may be slightly quicker than these but there's nothing to beat the simplicity of swapping out the jaw carriers for one set of jaws and replacing them with another and no worries about any fiddly catches giving way.

Jon

loz":9c1uax3v said:
Beside the price,

What do you think of the concept ? - im not sure i'd be confidant in the hold, with the jaws seemingly only help on by the tension of a spring against a lip.

My chucks are all full of dust, grime, stains and spray paint also, and work fine. I wonder how this really would cope outside of a clean room ?

I wouldn't like to turn a very large bowl or vase on it I don't think I would trust those springs to hold a 14" long vase or a 20" bowl also springs do lose some of there tension after a while and how would you know when that was you could find out when it is to late but this is just my personal opinion I could be wrong

I don't disagree with any of the sentiments posted. However, I take my hat off to anyone bringing on new technology into our discipline. To bring this new item to market show some considerable courage given the current financial problems, their product safety requirements and litigious nature of the stateside market. Also point of interest it seems to have a lifetime warranty.

For me I would rather keep my power dry and see what comments / reviews come across the pond.

Finally, Woody thanks for enjoyable day earlier this week.

Kind regards

Aden30mm

Aden30mm":2cgef7dv said:
I don't disagree with any of the sentiments posted. However, I take my hat off to anyone bringing on new technology into our discipline. To bring this new item to market show some considerable courage given the current financial problems, their product safety requirements and litigious nature of the stateside market. Also point of interest it seems to have a lifetime warranty.

For me I would rather keep my power dry and see what comments / reviews come across the pond.

Finally, Woody thanks for enjoyable day earlier this week.

Kind regards

Aden30mm
Your most welcome I enjoyed it as well did you finish the bowl

Its drying out a tad, the section under the rim was just tearing out. It seam fairly stable now though thanks.

Kind regards

Aden30mm

I know I wont be buying one anyway , but can someone explain what is a lifetime guarantee is it MY lifetime or the chuck , and what is the lifetime of the chuck. :roll: :roll:

Back