New 2011 Metabo KGS 254 Plus - anyone got it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a blast from the past, I've got the KGS300 (Elektra Beckum). I'm very pleased with the accuracy I can get from it.

I've had problems recently with the blade guard sticking open, so I ordered some spare parts:
  • a new guard return spring,
  • circlips,
  • slide/tilt lock plate+ its hardened roller
  • glide plates for under the rotating table
  • and the entire plastics part of the blade cover (including the handle - all one big moulding),
  • plus a couple of oil seals for my Makita SDS drill (while I was at it),

It all came to just over £30 + postage. It's on the list for tomorrow, and should be like a new saw when it's done.

It's true that designs have moved on since it was made, but it's still pretty precise, and I don't think parts are a rip-off!

E.

I've got the previous, non dust collecting model and although there is slight play in the table index setting this disappears when the clamp is done up.
The vertical tilt is not indexed so is not a problem. In fact I am delighted with the saw and I only paid £340 new as it was about to be superseded so am even more so.

billhicks":mhuq2h0c said:
I'd be interested to know, thanks.

Sadly, it's not just the 90 degree bevel lock that is below standard, the mitre detents are shocking, worse than some of the £70 saws they sell in B&Q. Think I made a mistake ordering this Metabo and it sounded so good, but it has to go back. This is my first metabo product and can't say I'm impressed, there are some good things about the saw, the rails are very smooth, the laser is crisp and there's some nice buttons for the depth stop and plunge lock but having so much 'wiggle' in the detents is not really what I would expect from a £500-£600 machine. Judge for yourself:

Video of the 90 degree bevel lock:
http://youtu.be/sMMzvOsZqas

Video of the Mitre detents:
http://youtu.be/x24b_qa1JX4

I haven't used the saw at all, this is straight out of the box. I did read the manual and as far as I'm aware there isn't a way to make the detents more solid, you can adjust the 90 degree angle and tighten the bevel lock clamp they won't affect the detents afaik. Shame

I personally would send it back as that is just wrong
The cheap and nasty Pro range that B&Q used to do was much better than that lol

Roger

billhicks":uj4hwxdu said:
I'd be interested to know, thanks.

Sadly, it's not just the 90 degree bevel lock that is below standard, the mitre detents are shocking, worse than some of the £70 saws they sell in B&Q. Think I made a mistake ordering this Metabo and it sounded so good, but it has to go back. This is my first metabo product and can't say I'm impressed, there are some good things about the saw, the rails are very smooth, the laser is crisp and there's some nice buttons for the depth stop and plunge lock but having so much 'wiggle' in the detents is not really what I would expect from a £500-£600 machine. Judge for yourself:

Video of the 90 degree bevel lock: 'link removed'

Video of the Mitre detents: 'link removed'

I haven't used the saw at all, this is straight out of the box. I did read the manual and as far as I'm aware there isn't a way to make the detents more solid, you can adjust the 90 degree angle and tighten the bevel lock clamp they won't affect the detents afaik. Shame

I realise this is an old post, but thanks for an extremely helpful contribution; your brief videos demonstrate the problem well.

I was looking to buy the Bosch GCM 10SD 254mm Slide Mitre Saw and found a similar problem with the mitre pre-sets. Not so much slack as in your example but enough to put me off.

I would like the 250mm Hitachi sliding mitre saw but don't think it's available in the UK. So back to start searching again.

Can anybody, who actually owns and uses one, recommended a good quality, accurate 250mm sliding mitre saw?

I found this old thread whilst searching for more info on the Metabo KGS 254 I Plus, a lovely new style "motor over blade belt drive", double-bevel sliding compound mitre saw I am presently very interested in buying. The I stands for Induction Motor...Something that I consider extremely desirable to have on most power tools but a feature that is extremely hard to find being used on power mitre saws, irrespective of brand or price.
As far as I can tell, this may be the only mitre saw on the market that actually has an induction motor?
Not only that, but its a very powerful induction motor too (2.2kw) making it one of the most powerful 10" mitre saws available and it also has a continuously variable speed control too.
It can handle 305 x 90mm wood at 90 degrees, which is more than some 12" blade mitre saws can handle, and better than most DeWalts.
Its dust extraction efficiency appears to be the best on any mitre saw currently available too, something I also consider extremely important.
Its a trade rated product but I only want one for DIY use...I figure, with no motor brushes to change it should last me the rest of my life.
The cheapest UK price for it I could find seems to be about £550 inc VAT, but you can buy one from Germany, with free postage, for about £440, which makes it a real bargain compared to similar saws from Dewalt and Bosch. Any thoughts?

Well, the other day I won a used KGS216 Plus on ebay. D&M sells them new for over £330...Got it for £130. :)
It should have been £150 C.O.C, but I got him to knock £20 off as the laser wouldn't switch on. The work piece clamp was also missing.
When I got it home I rang Metabo UK to find out how much a new laser and work piece clamp would be. The woman I spoke to emailed me a PDF showing exploded parts drawings of the saw and giving a list of the all the numbered parts.
I was told to order the parts I needed from my local Metabo dealer, as they could not order parts for the public.
So I rang D&M Tools and gave them the two Metabo part numbers I needed and placed an order. The laser was a complete wired assembly, costing about £25 + VAT, and the work piece clamp cost about £29 + VAT.
The next day I took off the left hand blade side cover (undo six socket head screws and its off) and had a look at the laser setup...The wires looked ok so I tried shorting the 2 switch connections and low and behold, the laser lit up! It was just the switch that had gone. Bingo!
So I went down to my local Maplins and bought an off the shelf replacement for about £2, went home and fitted it, then took my time to adjust the laser using the Allen key provided.
Then I just had ring D&M to cancel my order for a new laser.
The work piece clamp is still on order but because it has to come from Germany you have to allow up to 10 working days for delivery.
The saw itself is an excellent bit of kit. The idents are totally solid with no movement whatsoever and the 1600w (2.14 hp) continuously adjustable speed brushed motor is supprising quiet and it has plenty of grunt.
It came with an expensive Metabo "precision cut" 48 tooth blade fitted (Normally about £90 to buy), which was a bonus! :)

I have the KGS255Plus and I am very happy with it. Very sturdy and accurate and comes with a good blade.

Keep an eye out for the KGS303. slightly older model. Metabo did a clearance deal to their distributors and you will find some very good deals on it.

Double bevel mitre saw with great cutting capacity and very accurate. An awful lot of saw for the money.

Very well made tools IMO
Can I ask, does yours have the locating nipples on the inner blade collar? If so how have you gotten around fitting a new standard blade? I'm totally confused, I spoke to metabo and they said unofficially I need to grind off the nipples to accommodate a standard blade as I wanted to fit a 60T negative rake blade. Be interested to know if you have encountered this and if you have a work around. Thanks.

Back