Need some chisels, looking for recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J_SAMa":9ppj2lqo said:
Jacob":9ppj2lqo said:
Waterstones not very practical on a building site - they are for sharpening enthusiasts indoors. You need the trad double sided oil stone.

Japanese carpenters of yesteryear couldn't get any oilstones even if they wanted to. Anything works as long as it makes your tools sharper.

Yeah - they use(d) "trad" waterstones.

BugBear

Trad in Japan but not here though - not least because of the expense but also they aren't as useful - soft, need flattening etc. A very recent fashion.

Fromey":3efkhhvz said:
I take it you want some hard working, knock about chisels. Otherwise, I have a set of Narex 8105 for sale ( http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Nar ... tml#SID=18 )

Are these "knock about" enough for you?

They could bring some serious knock about if the Wife saw the invoice.

However, that said, I'm just finishing up reading a book about timber frame construction and will probably need something a little better once I start on the shed and oak porch she's been hankering after.

I believe they call it a rain-check for now.

Ta.

Wuffles":28rlntip said:
Fromey":28rlntip said:
I take it you want some hard working, knock about chisels. Otherwise, I have a set of Narex 8105 for sale ( http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Nar ... tml#SID=18 )

Are these "knock about" enough for you?

They could bring some serious knock about if the Wife saw the invoice.

However, that said, I'm just finishing up reading a book about timber frame construction and will probably need something a little better once I start on the shed and oak porch she's been hankering after.

I believe they call it a rain-check for now.

Ta.

Oooh timber framing, you better not look at the ashley ilses firmer chisels at workshop heaven then. :lol:

Jacob":2xiv25rf said:
Trad in Japan but not here though - not least because of the expense but also they aren't as useful - soft, need flattening etc. A very recent fashion.

There are modern and harder ones around. Perhaps they're the recent fashion...

iNewbie":qmhogucz said:
Jacob":qmhogucz said:

There are modern and harder ones around. Perhaps they're the recent fashion...
Yes they are going full circle and getting to resemble oil stones more closely! Still too expensive though.

What exactly is 'trad' about double sided India stones? Relatively modern, man made product by only one manufacturer in the world. And not even indicated by the manufacturer themselves as a honing medium, but a substitute for natural stones used for coarser metal removal before the 'trad' natural stones are used for honing. They are useful as part of a sharpening system, but not the final step or only items required. India stones as some sort of sharpening panacea is a myth, I'm afraid, as good as they are.

Mike.

For site work I don't think I would want to take my expensive waterstones. Something that can take the knocks and be ok after a fall onto a concrete floor might be more appropriate. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Master- ... sharpening

This has (so far) proved to be a very good 'stone'. Only goes up to a medium grit but that's fine for most softwood site type joinery work. Take a leather strop and whilst it won't be the ultimate edge it should be good enough. Nice compact size, probably fit in a pocket if you leave the holder at home.

Back