need help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
hi all
Going to be getting a lathe early next year, l have been looking on flee bay and the likes, and watching what they use on u-tube and was getting all confused about which one to buy.
l know not to get a cheapo one. but was is a good price to pay for a beginner? l have a list of lathes and was wondering which one`s to cross off, l intend to do bowls {not too big} also pens and any thing else in between.
this is my list

Delta
Rexon
Nu Tool
Record
Axminster Hobby Series AWSL
Clark
l have not put any model numbers on
hope some one can give me some advice

As a total newbie i'm not going to begin to offer advice on which one.

But I was about to buy an axminster @ about £300 and after reading various threads on here looked a bit harder at 2nd hand and picked up a really nice tyme avon, with chisels, faceplate and wood screw chuck locally via preloved - seemed much cheaper than ebay - i did look at the for sale on here and nothing came up locally.

As the lathe is just the start of the list of what you seem to need - then 2nd hand is really worth a try - i honestly think I ended up with a much better lathe, much cheaper.

Chelsea.

Buying a lathe depends on many factors, not least being what you can afford. From your list I would go for the Record or Axminster ranges.
If funds allow look for 12" turning capacity and variable speed capability. Unless you envisage turning long spindles the length of the bed is not critical. One other piece of advice - join a club and you will learn much more than if you plod on alone.
Good luck and good shopping.

I have an axminster hobby and I am quite happy with it. It's quite solid with no need to bolt it a plate or the table, it doesn't skid around and the adjustable rubber feet are convenient. If anything, I would have liked a longer tool rest, which Axminster doesn't stock. Still, one can get the Robert Sorby one. And the motor vent is just in the perfect position to fill up with shavings, so it's a good idea to make a cover for it. But I am a beginner so probably not the best person to give an opinion.

I needed an easily movable lathe, otherwise I would have taken the model with stand and swivelling head at 45/90 degrees, as somebody here advised me to do.
My workbench is a bit low and after an evening hollowing boxes my back was complaining. A tall stand and a swivelling head would help in that respect.

I would second either Axminster or Record. From time to time there are bargains to be had on eBay. If you have room for it and it you can get a single phase version you might be able to pick up something like a Union Jubilee for reasonable money? Maybe a Tyme Avon or Poolewood? EBay is such a lottery - if you are patient you may get lucky. Of course there are loads of premium makes of lathe out there but prices reflect this.

It really depends on what kind of turning yoiu want to do, how much room you have, if you are able to tart up something, how much you are prepared to spend etc.

Whatever you buy you need to factor in the cost of things like chucks, faceplates etc. Finding a lathe complete with these may save you a lot of money. If a lathe does not come with these then make sure you can get faceplates / chucks with the correct spindle threads. You will have no trouble with Axminster and Record but some of the more obscure lathes can be a problem.

I would give the other lathes on your list a wide berth unless they are being given away.

BM

Back