Natural Stone ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

I have been sorting through my workshop today (well guiding elves to that task)...with a view to having a cleaner, tidier shop for when I am capable of standing for more than 10 minutes again....and I came across this little stone in the dusty hollows....

DSC_0266.JPG

Now it's highly likely this came from somewhere in Europe as it was my grandad's who I never met. He was in a camp in Belgium in WWII and died a few weeks after liberation...digging his beloved garden.

Years ago, Mum gave me a load of his tools and I think this was amongst them.

DSC_0264.JPG

Of course, the connection with Belgium may be purely coincidental....or not...but I am sure this is quite a distinctive lump that someone out there may recognise (once they get that illusive book back?? :mrgreen: )

I will say...it is very fast and fine in honing from the brief test I did today!

Cheers me dears

Jim

I don't know, I don't do naturals.

But do some looking at 'Belgian Coticules'. I'll not bet money that yours is one, but I probably could very safely.

Stu.

I'm sure I've got one very similar Jim, somewhere in the depths here. But if I dug it out we would be no closer to ID-ing it .... we need an on board geologist.

Belgium Blue, Jimi?

If so, a very good find .. send out thanks to your granddad. It is rated about 4000-6000.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I kinda thought about the same, but the yellow section in the middle and the 'fine' on it suggested coticule.

http://www.coticule.be/home.html

If it works well, who cares what it actually is! :D

Something about horses with presents between their teeth? :lol:

Hi Jim and everybody else. I just joined the forum.

I'm very certain it's a belgian stone. Looks like a natural combo. Coticule on one side and belgian blue on the other. The coticule side have been flattened so many times that it's almost gone, which is too bad as that's the "good" side (as in fine). The blue stone is called schist, and is very similar to slate, and can often be used for sharpening as well. It depends on how close it is to the yellow vein when quarried. The closer the better, so i think yours will be good.
A quick way of testing it to see if it's a belgian blue is to make a slurry, and see if it turns purple.

The coticule gives a very nice edge, although you sometimes have to be patient with it. I use mine after my 8000 king stone.

Thomas

Hi All

Thanks for the wide range of opinions on this one.

Thomas...I was thinking the same thing...that the light layer was worn out. The back layer is a kind of magenta/purple and does make a slurry but not sure the colour. Will test tomorrow. Interesting test that!

Jim

Back