Narex chisels not happy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dodge":3mtwmm0t said:
I have Narex chisels and am using them daily and have done so since receiving them from Matthew at WH getting on for a couple of years ago - you may recall in an earlier thread how I re-handled them with London Pattern handles.

Personally I think the chisels are excellent value for money, hold an excellent edge and I would be happy to recommend them to anyone!

Mice been nibbling at them larger two Dodge? :D

I really liked the London pattern handles Dodge had made which look to be very finely crafted. I always like to see some top notch work whether on a tool handle or a flight of stairs ;-)

In my oppinion a good chisel has:
-A blade with good overall shape and ballance and a good tang opr socket.
-Steel that holds an edge as long as possible and sharpens well when it has been dulled.
-A back that is reasonably straight and where the machining marks and/or rust pits aren't too deep to remove easily.

If it has a usable handle I wiew it as an extra....... The hypothetic finish of that optional handle is something that I have never thought about.......

Just to put things straight.......

by the look of things it looks like ive just bought from a bad dealer my comments and experience are not consistent with them on here. i think ill go to the other recommended sites like workshop heaven.

At the risk of repetition, I think that I wouldn't entertain a modern chisel however good the steel is professed to be.

The world of bootfairs, fleaBay and other old tool suppliers is full of beautiful examples of classic old masterpieces that have stood the test of time, often for over a century and are still cutting beautifully.

Careful selection can result in a set for the price of one good new one.

DSC_0040.JPG

Most have fine box or ash handles, have brass ferrules that wouldn't split in a reactor and the cutting edge is not prone to rodent damage!

Just my 2p worth :mrgreen:

Jimi

heimlaga":3dduor7d said:
In my oppinion a good chisel has:
-A blade with good overall shape and ballance and a good tang opr socket.
-Steel that holds an edge as long as possible and sharpens well when it has been dulled.
-A back that is reasonably straight and where the machining marks and/or rust pits aren't too deep to remove easily.

I've never really met a chisel which doesn't fit this bill! Some are nicer than others but they all are usable.
Machine marks aren't a problem - a quick pass over a fine stone or paper will take the friction off, if not the marks themselves.
Even rust pits can be dealt with simply - by applying a bit of back bevel so you get into sound metal. This is against the majority opinion I know, but it still gives you a usable chisel. Or just bin it, they are cheap and another one will be along!
A so-called "bellied" face is no problem either, I don't know why it worries people. A hollow concave face could be a problem but would usually be reduced enough after a few honings, without any special effort being required, but in any case helps with sharpening.

matjos26":2hlwqdrk said:
by the look of things it looks like ive just bought from a bad dealer my comments and experience are not consistent with them on here. i think ill go to the other recommended sites like workshop heaven.
Same brand same chisels it won't make any difference. If you want quality it's best to go 2nd hand there's tons of old tools out there, often dirt cheap.

Grayorm":38ts4pxp said:
And we're off!
My opinion based on some experience - and bear in mind that I'm not selling anything or promoting anybody else (except Ebay and car boots perhaps)

I've had a small set of Narex chisels for a while (from Matthew I think) and they have been fine in all regards - except one. The sides were so sharp that in use I cut myself on them several times. A bit of stoning did the trick.

I may look at a set of Narex Mortice chisels in the New Year. I had a set once until some scrote relieved me of ownership on a site in Dudley. I've been finding it extremely difficult to find a full set of mortice chisels :(

I'm quite happy with my Stanley DynaGrip BE chisels, they're as good as my old 1960's Marples ones were (again, lost in Dudley). They hold their edge well enough and seem to stay sharp for ages.

MMUK":34hmy3iu said:
I may look at a set of Narex Mortice chisels in the New Year. I had a set once until some scrote relieved me of ownership on a site in Dudley. I've been finding it extremely difficult to find a full set of mortice chisels :(

I'm quite happy with my Stanley DynaGrip BE chisels, they're as good as my old 1960's Marples ones were (again, lost in Dudley). They hold their edge well enough and seem to stay sharp for ages.

Dudley is right off my list now!

There may be different steel qualities in Narex Paring chisels.

Fine-grained chrome-moly steel or Rc59 chrome-manganese steel?

Workshop Heaven. Narex 8132 paring chisels are forged from CrMn high carbon steel and isothermally hardened to RC59

Lee Valley. Forged from silicon-chrome steel (Rc58-60)

?

"Narex chisels not happy" is the title. Have to say I am not happy - in fact bored stiff with reading about Narex bloody chisels. We all know now that they are so so and are sold by Matthew (and a lot of other people, usually cheaper). We've been told a thousand times.
Haven't we done enough to promote these cheapo imported chisels? There's obviously nothing special about them. Neither particularly cheap nor particularly good. When will this promo end?

Back