Myford ML8 - Outboard drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_kelsall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve had my lathe for a couple of months and I’ve bought a Dakota pneumatic sanding drum from Rutlands. I could do with a larger one though, does anyone know where I could buy one from or how I could make one?

Also, what would you recommend for sanding willow? I’m currently using Mirka Carat sandpaper in 150/180/220/240 and 320 grit but I’m having to make the sanding belts by hand to fit the above sanding drum.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Here is my current setup. Although i've moved the switch to the front.

20120930_181147.jpg

Come on guys, there's been over 60 people view this topic and not one of you have given any suggestions, not even a welcome to the forum!

Dia duit ryan, welcome to the forum, i'm not long here myself..

i'm afraid im no help with this one, looks like a handy setup though
good luck-hope u get sorted out

R_kelsall":esznbnth said:
I’ve bought a Dakota pneumatic sanding drum from Rutlands. I could do with a larger one though, does anyone know where I could buy one from or how I could make one?

you look like you have the largest Dakota model already, and I'm not aware of other UK sources of larger ones - from the US you have http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sand ... 6_204.html and I think Delta make larger ones.

no idea how to make a pneumatic sanding drum - and a solid one is fundamentally different in use, and would require a very solid adjustable table, preferably cast iron, to effectively true up to the actual mounting ie there's no point turning a wooden drum, or buying a round drum, unless you have a 'perfect' mounting mechanism; it's why the pneumatic work so well. Think of it in terms of 'remounting' items on the lathe. If you have the table then discs of good ply are pretty stable, glued, screwed trued and then finished in place to a sheet of abrasive on the table (long slow process).

Latest posts

Back