My PC keeps blinking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The programs blink and revert to desktop for perhaps 3 seconds and then return back to program.

Anyone know what is the cause and cheap cure?

Windows 7.

No idea but my first fix is always to "revert" back to the last point when it was working ok. Failing that run the free malware bytes program and do a virus scan.

Tinbasher":3loiuydp said:
No idea but my first fix is always to "revert" back to the last point when it was working ok. Failing that run the free malware bytes program and do a virus scan.

Yes, I have done those operations over the past few days. No go.

Malc":1ax0v1t4 said:
Does it happen when your mouse is hovering over the small vertical bar at the bottom right of the screen (the show desktop button)? if so this is due to Aero peek which is designed to do that

You can turn it off if you do not like it

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-di ... windows-7/

Have to agree with Malc, this is the usual suspect, many don't realise hovering over that tiny vertical bar peeks at the desktop.

peek.jpg

But the easier way to disable it, is just to right click the vertical bar, then click on 'peek at desktop' and you can turn it on and off at will. Two clicks instead of seven.

Phil

Attachments

• peek.jpg
    peek.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 629
Curious; mine does the same thing, also Win7, but it only happens to Firefox. It's not the aero peek button, I've already turned that off.

Thanks, I have unclicked the tick on Peek.

I'm sure I have never been anywhere near that bar in the past, but will let you all have my progress report. (mine did in mainly with i/e9.)

My PC (win 7) occasionally blinks to the home screen when McAfee or other updates are downloaded. Don't know if this fits your example devonwoody ?

Gary

devonwoody":1fv5ba3m said:
I'm sure I have never been anywhere near that bar in the past

I never go anywhere near it on purpose, but I happen to put my mouse over it by accident all the time when I'm moving the cursor out of the way to read something.

Gary Morris":92ru0bp9 said:
My PC (win 7) occasionally blinks to the home screen when McAfee or other updates are downloaded. Don't know if this fits your example devonwoody ?

Gary

no my blinks are usually forum time.

(I think that sounds alright, but I reckon someone will see it differently :wink: )

When I 'use' the aero peek button, which I don't, but you know what I mean, the desktop picture comes up with about ten interference lines diagonally across it. The lines are different in width and unequally spaced, and having found what caused the desktop to flash up I ignore it, but I am intrigued by the interference lines.

Gareth

t8hants":axf1qrvt said:
When I 'use' the aero peek button, which I don't, but you know what I mean, the desktop picture comes up with about ten interference lines diagonally across it. The lines are different in width and unequally spaced, and having found what caused the desktop to flash up I ignore it, but I am intrigued by the interference lines.

It's the image Vista and Win7 use for their window graphics. If you look carefully at the title bar of windows, they have the same pattern of lines in the same angle. It's supposed to look like light on/through glass, I think.

The reason you get them is that when you use Peek, Windows draws the outlines of each of your windows over the top of your desktop, so you can see where all your windows are, just not the contents. Each one of those outlines gets this pattern drawn across it (not one pattern for each outline, but one pattern for the whole area). If you have any window maximised when you hit Peek, then that window will fill the screen and thus the pattern also fills the screen.

(To demonstrate, minimise any maximised windows you have open, just leave one or two windows at part-size so you can see bits of your desktop past them, and then hover over the Peek button again.)

Back