My new folding workbench - I'm after some feedback!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lurker":1wnzad2q said:
It's nice and you my well sell a few to time poor site chippies and one man shows.
I think your price is decent given the timber and and time saved.

Peter Millard has a good argument as to why you may struggle with your target market.

I would target the "hipsters" who are wealthy, live in pokey rented flats and are into making things not necessarily wood based. It is perfect to use and knock down a few months later when you move flats.
Get on the current fad of these folks "repurposing" ( making carp) .
It's sellable as a "bit of design" in its own right I think.

A market I have never thought of - maybe etsy or similar may be agood market place for that sort of custom?

Thanks!
Coachy

Hi Coachy,

My compliments on the design and construction of your bench.

I use an MFT for most of my machine woodwork. (When I can find time to do any). It's okay-ish but somewhat shaky, and I want to make a 'rolling-bench' to suit it. I don't think that needs any plans mind as it's a straightforward job, just a robust frame of the right size for the top, and space below for the systainers . :mrgreen: Add some good castors and I'll be away.

I tried to design a combined workbench/assembly table but everything I came up with would have meant clearing the workbench every five minutes to use it for assembling. I realised I would HAVE to make or buy a workbench, and a separate assembly table. I wanted the luxury of just picking up say face frame components, transferring to a nice clear surface to start assembly.

That's the ideal then, but being short of space, it must wait. When I can finish off the new shed in the back yard, I'll be able to make the ultimate assembly, table! Another 'round-tuit'! :roll:

Cheers

John

Benchwayze":1kvsjk5x said:
Hi Coachy,

My compliments on the design and construction of your bench.

I use an MFT for most of my machine woodwork. (When I can find time to do any). It's okay-ish but somewhat shaky, and I want to make a 'rolling-bench' to suit it. I don't think that needs any plans mind as it's a straightforward job, just a robust frame of the right size for the top, and space below for the systainers . :mrgreen: Add some good castors and I'll be away.

I tried to design a combined workbench/assembly table but everything I came up with would have meant clearing the workbench every five minutes to use it for assembling. I realised I would HAVE to make or buy a workbench, and a separate assembly table. I wanted the luxury of just picking up say face frame components, transferring to a nice clear surface to start assembly.

That's the ideal then, but being short of space, it must wait. When I can finish off the new shed in the back yard, I'll be able to make the ultimate assembly, table! Another 'round-tuit'! :roll:

Cheers

John

Thanks John! Yeah that sounds like a plan - i had the same thoughts with the MFT. I like it a lot but it isn't very stable. And i totally agree with you and having two benches - you always end up with rubbish all over one of them and having to clear it up to assemble something. I have a workshop but i'm looking to build my own eventually - underfloor heating etc, A man can only dream!

Coachy.

I'm a trade user, it's built to suit my purpose and that the market i'm looking at. If I manage to break that market and it gets its name out there then ameature woodworkers and enthusiasts will more likely purchase. This is the way i see it but of course i could be wrong. The price is high to see what interest I get, realistically I expect £240-£250 range.

At the end of the day it works for its intended purpose, its crazily adaptable and it's not ugly and and full of unnecessary fixings. Simplicity is the key. It's early days yet but I have a meeting with two local builders merchants in my area who i hope will be willing to retail in there stores but only time will tell.

I've had quote for coloured ply but at a wopping £147+vat per sheet based on 25 sheet purchase I feel this is a little ridiculous.

Cheers.

Coachy.

My concern would be someone with a flush cut bit who has a few mates who want one. Is there a way you could design it so a flush bit couldn't simply make spares ?

Coley

ColeyS1":3rdfob7p said:
My concern would be someone with a flush cut bit who has a few mates who want one. Is there a way you could design it so a flush bit couldn't simply make spares ?

Coley

Once you have bought the materials and costed the time at commercial rates its not much cheaper is it?

coach-carpenter":ryhq9jcq said:
lurker":ryhq9jcq said:
I have just been watching the u tubes.
A thought struck me, have you ever used pipe cramps like those very popular over the pond?

I bought several of these years ago.... About 10 dollars a throw in Home depot, I think pony brand, Axminster sell a knock off.
A plumber mate "acquired" the pipe in various lengths
They are very versatile and look just the things for your bench

I don't think i have - can you give me an example? I', intregued.

google "Pony Pipe Clamps"
or http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... amp-505560
the main outlay is threaded 3/4" pipe
Scrap yards have loads unless you know a plumber or sparky who does commecial work

ColeyS1":1pak0y0w said:

Coley

I think the risk is relatively low. You could do that with virtually any wooden product on the market. The people who have such an inclination are probably unlikely to buy one in the first place id have thought? They wouldnt be able to sell them publically due to designers rights. Design registration etc... so i dont really see what the point would be.

Someone vould do the same with axminsters vesrion too if they so desired

Ceers
Coachy

Have you seen CNCdesign.co.uk

They have knockdown workbenches very similar to yours (have no idea if they are as sturdy) but they are only £129.00. If just taking a punt as a weekend warrior I know which one I would end up going for.

Cheers,

H.

Halo Jones":2wf7mg68 said:

They have knockdown workbenches very similar to yours (have no idea if they are as sturdy) but they are only £129.00. If just taking a punt as a weekend warrior I know which one I would end up going for.

Cheers,

H.

Interesting! Thanks for the link.

Halo Jones":3akcdkih said:

Cheers,

H.
I know Rick very well. He has helped me devlop my bench to what it is. Those cutting tables are excellent and very strong. But they are designed as a semi permanent solution. Not a quick portable. Light weight workbench.

If that suits your needs better then that is fair enough, i do think you may be missing the fact they are designed for different things. Rick refers to his as a cutting bench / table due to its hieght and the fact its designed purely for cutting sheets. Not as a workbench.

Cheers
Coachy

So after getting of the phine to Rick, he recommended selling them cheap with only a tiny profit in order to get internet sales moving then gradually as the name gets out increase the price. Also for the lower price send it out kit in kit form with hinges and screws etc. For people to assemble themselves.

What do you recon?

Cheers
Coachy

There would have to be an element of trust but could you licence your design to Rick and let him sell them it may mean you only earn say £10 out of each bench but you wouldn't actually be doing any of the work .
As a business selling one design of bench is never going to bring much revenue in .

I agree for the immidiate future but thats not the plan i have for Chestnut woodworking solutions. I hopesolul grow and diversify into many products woodwork related

Everthing will still happen through myself i just have them manufactured elsewhere. Its the only way to garantee accuracy and quality of the product.

Latest posts

Back