My first scroll box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titchard

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so i decided this year i would make my wife small box which would contain her christmas present. I will try attach some image s but not sure how to do it yet as this is my first post. Anyway i came across a few small problems. Having found some plans i came across my first problem. The box was made from ash and mahogany but i needed some mahogany which was 4mm in depth to make the ribbon. This is when i found that to get any hardwood in leeds less than an inch thick seems almost impossible. I dont own a big band saw or a thicknesser so in the end i had to hand cut the mahogany but it was hard to keep it the right thickness and was a real pain. Does anyone know any where in leeds where you can buy small amounts of hardwood which they will cut to th required sizes or does this service not exist (any info where to buy would be really appriciated). Then once i had some wood i found that the blades i had where terrible, silverline i believe and i think they would struggle to cut paper but by reading other posts on this website i bought some olson blades which were fantastic and found that cutting the box out was quite easy although a bit more practise is required. Once evrything was glue up and sanded i found my next main problem was the finish. I used danish oil which worked quite well but is a bit blotchy and and has shown up some glue spots which i missed. I put the oil on using a lint free cloth and used danish oil because that is what i had on he shelf in the garage. if any one knows where i can get some good info on finishing projects such as this box it would be really helpful to me.

Overall i was very pleased with my first attempt with the saw and my wife loved it. I have also a few people that want me to make them one.
So yeah , tell me what you think and if you have any answers or any advise for me that would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF1808edit.jpg
    DSCF1808edit.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCF1809edit.jpg
    DSCF1809edit.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCF1811edit.jpg
    DSCF1811edit.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCF1813edit.jpg
    DSCF1813edit.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 800
i think you have done a great job of the box and in particular the ribbon. I myself may have been tempted to make the ribbon and band slightly darker so you would have a better contrast between the woods.

I think that for a first you did very, very well! Keep at it and soon you'll be an accomplished woodworker, no doubt.

Thanks.

Any ideas on where i can buy can buy hardwoods cut to what ever depth required.

I would have prefered the ribbon to be much darker than it turned out. I though it was going to be darker once i had finished it.

Thanks for your nice comments

you have done a nice job for a first attempt
You can get thin hardwood from Hobbies in Dereham in various thickness
the down side it is only 4" wide Hope this helps
Regards Puzzler

Back