My first project - Sleigh Cot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablopete80

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first major project, a sleigh cot, i have designed and built the cot myself with help of books and common sense. Its made of Ash and stained to the wifes liking, not mine. As this is a first project i would like some feedback on it from experienced people not just the usual biased family/friends comments i have got so far.

This has fuelled a desire inside me to turn this into a profession. I am lucky that i currently work from home, where i have a 8m x 5m workshop space, and have enough free time to do this part time untill i get enough experience to make it a profession. Advice on this would also be good.

4817290337_c584dc5d09_z.jpg

4817916318_3b6f2dd2bb_z.jpg

4817294359_b4c5bd5c32_z.jpg

4817299451_1e8cf7b95a_z.jpg

4817302421_2d8f088e94_z.jpg

4817931394_190fbe9e02_z.jpg

Its contructed in sections (rails,bottom and sides) that bolt together so it can easily be moved or stored. All other joints are M&T apart from the curved section which is glued,screwed and pluged.

Thanks for looking at my first project and look forward to some feedback.
Pete[/img]

Cheers for that, i was doing it right but must of miss typed/copied something the first time.

Very nice work, I preferred the natural Ash look but can see it is finished to match the decor.

This sort of work would be very saleable but the problem would be price. As a hand worked piece, to cover your costs the price would probably need to be over 1000 pounds. Don't forget your profit and running costs, electric, tax etc etc.

There are several pro's on here and most of them talk about speed and efficiency. They use the biggest and fastest machines they can afford and are very strict in measuring costs and most of all their time.

The hand made "boutique" furniture market is possible but you are up against some serious talent (no offence) and finding punters to pay 2-10k for a piece of furniture is harder.

Most here seem to make a living out of bespoke cupboards, kitchens etc etc. Hopefully you will get a response from Brad Naylor and Senior and some of the others who can offer excellent advice.

It was more the kitchen, cups, tables etc i was thinking. The only reason i made a sleigh cot like that was due to demands! To make a profit out of that cot i would need £1300 min being self employed i understand that part ok, its just how much work i could expect to get with little behind me.

Didn't mean to come across teaching you to suck eggs, there are a lot of posts on here from people wanting to turn a hobby into a business with very little understanding of the realities of being self employed.

Re getting work, there are many posts on here and worth an evening searching as some great advice. Many centre on getting a great looking simple website with examples of your work and references, lots and lots of photos. Easy contact details and be very prompt in replying (get a blackberry or email phone). Don't work cheaply or for free, set expectations correctly, you clearly have the skills and should be confident in them. If you have an affluent area locally mail drop them or use local free papers, set up a stall in a local shopping centre for a couple of weekends with a couple of pieces of work and chat to passers by, everyone loves craftsmen and the quality difference will be obvious for everyone to see.

Get some references if you don't have any yet, wife will probably not do :D You may need to wait until you have some work though.

Good Luck

For a first project I think that has come out very very nice.
I still find it amazing that people can make a living out of making bespoke furniture like that. Yes, I like to have furniture made for me (book cases etc etc) but I don't think I'd ever be able to justify paying over 1K for a cot - regardless of how well it was made.

Back