My First Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done on the choice of plane. I need to get another of the QS planes soon. My 62 and LA block plane are getting a good workout at work. :D

PeteG":1oxsmrlj said:
phil.p":1oxsmrlj said:
You know you should alternate the grain of the boards, really?

Hello Phil. Apologies for the late reply :) It wasn't something I was aware of really, is it a big enough of a mistake that it will affect the drawer?

Pete...

Using plain stock, it's okay as it is. As long as you remember, the 'outside of the tree' goes to the inside of the drawer. That way, any warpage means the board will bend inwards, thus keeping the joint tight at the corners. Also any easing of the sides you have to do means you only have to take a light skim down the middle of the drawer-side. The problem is avoided, more or less, if you use quarter-sawn stock for drawer linings.

HTH

John

PeteG":bc9zzkiw said:
Thanks Mike. I'd been avoiding hand tools for probably to long, so hoping this is the only plane I'll need, for the moment anyway, but then you never know.

I find that a 5 1/2, a Low angle block plane and a shoulder plane (311) seem to cover just about every eventuality. Well, for my standard of work they do :shock:

I treated myself to one of those to, but so far I've been to scared to use it incase it gets dirty or scratched or something bad :oops:

Attachments

• rps20140904_072423.jpg
    rps20140904_072423.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 909
The more ductile cast iron of the expensive planes does scratch easily. My LNs are no exception, but they stay true, and stand up to accidental dropping. (Mine haven't been tested that way just yet, I hasten to add!) :mrgreen:

John

Latest posts

Back