multi-options mini sawmill plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sawing logs lets say 10 cm in diametre your small wheels would probably do well enough..... so yes...I was probably missunderstanding.

I know that I have a slight tendency to overbuild things but I am sick and tired of the amount of blade drift that occurs on a woodmizer cutting 30-40 cm diametre spruce logs and I would like my boards to vary less than that. It is pretty frustrating to a frame together when the band sawn 2x4s vary from 96 to 104 mm in width along their lenght. A straighter cut would require a wider and thicker blade which in turn requires bigger wheels regardless of the demand for throat size. Not quite as daft as it seems.
The stiffer the blade the greater the wheel diametre has to be. That is a rule that applies to all band sawmills and resaws. If you look at a Stenner rack table saw mill or a Stenner resaw with it's wide blade you will find that it has some pretty big wheels.

Just my oppinion....and though i have done a lot of offbearing at various sawmills and happen to know many both hobbyist and professional sawyers I am not a sawyer myself.

Drift occurs regularly on badly aligned band saws and I don't think I've ever once heard of bigger wheels or a wider/stiffer blade being proposed as the solution. Whatever scale it's on from 4" dia handyband saws to 48" monsters, wheels/blade alignment and blade tension are 99.9% of everything you'll ever need to fiddle with to get straight cuts.

As you say, there shouldn't be any problems with the blade as long as you keep the blade and wheel clean.
Perhaps copy what the others have done including the two guides.
I'm quite looking fore ward to the first stack of timber you have cut!
The only concern I would have is with the wheel barrow tyres, regarding really low speed rating of the tyre recommendation.
As it's a pedestrian vehicle, and is, therefore not rated to attain the revolutions that you will be needing :(

Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1tb1a1ne said:
As it's a pedestrian vehicle, and is, therefore not rated to attain the revolutions that you will be needing :(
Regards Rodders
Yes. The wheelbarrow wheels have a larger spindle size and bearing and generally appear to be a lot more robust but it was because of the low rated speed of the only tyres I've been able to find for them that I got a pair of mini moto ones as backup.

Col.

Sure drift occurs on badly aligned saws, but everyone still says use the biggest, widest blade you can for resawing. A smaller diameter wheel will restrict how big you can go because the big resawing blades can't do too tight a turn over a small wheel.

Now this is more interesting Col. Great sketchup drawings...are they yours? I hope we'll get a WIP with the build.

The latest revelation to dawn on me is that by altering the carriage for the chainsaw I can use it to dimension timber as I go by making vertical cut as well as horizontal ones...
Multi-option mini sawmills01.jpg
Multi-option mini sawmills02.jpg

Attachments

• Multi-option mini sawmills01.jpg
    Multi-option mini sawmills01.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Multi-option mini sawmills02.jpg
    Multi-option mini sawmills02.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 225
Took delivery of a load of 25x25x3 and 30x30x2 steel hollow section today and managed to get several pieces cut before it got to dark to continue. More updates as and when things happen but with a bit of luck a house move is iminent so it might be a while before I get anything built.

Col.

Back