Mouldy birch ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraxinus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just over half a sheet of birch ply that has is harbouring black and green mould after being in storage for a while.
Not wanting to throw it away as it isn't cheap and I don't like wasting wood, My questions are as follows,

1. Can I just use a bleach or oxalic acid solution to clean off the mould. Will it return it to near its original condition

2. Once the mould is cleaned off, will I be able to use it in projects as normal? Ie will it affect glues ability to stick or finishes?

Thanks in advance

I'd chuck it Fraxinus, your time and the cost of cleaning materials are probably more than it's worth, plus it's unlikely to ever be clean, flat, and a thing of loveliness ever again!

I wonder if a fairly coarse grit on the orbital might get rid of the worst of it. have to be fairly careful notto sand throughthe first veneer though :|

You'll never get the colour back of the original. Use it only if painting but give it a good clean and sand before hand

Depends what you want to use it for, I had exactly the same happen to me, sanded it used it for an out feed table / workbench top, two coats of lacquer and a rub over with wax and it's fine. No need to burn it that just stupid waste of good material.

Not really got anything in mind for it yet. Though I've been inspired by the bandsaw boxes on another thread on here. So they could be a potential use for it. Then I don't need to worry about the colour of the ply as it can be covered with a nice face timber.
Should I just use a dilute solution of bleach to wash it with. Then use clean water to rinse?

I'm not sure I'd bother with rinsing it, just putting additional moisture into the equation, just put a bit of bleach on a rag, wipe it over and leave to dry. If it's being left in the same conditions that caused the problem in the first place I'd wait until you're ready to use it.

Ah ok, that's nice and simple!
Good point about not doing it just yet. Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back