Motorbike road tax issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning fellas.
I have an old bike in my garden, I used it up until 2011 then parked it up and didn't declare it off the road. Now someone wants to buy it. What happens when he goes to tax it? Will I be liable for a huge fine? I ran a serch on the vehicle licence website and it came back 'vehicle not found', strange.

I don't think there will be any nasty surprises.
The last bike I bought hadn't been taxed for four or five years and then I never put it on the road for another year or two. It was registered to me when I bought it but I never sorned it and had no issues when putting it on the road.

I had the same situation with a motorbike registered to me , stored for 6 years, with no sorn, ever.
Wanting To sell it, I rang Swansea, and quoted the vehicle number, the woman just registered it sorn and that was all.
No fine etc. I suggest you do the same as they do seem to miss a few and I certainly would not ignore the situation and let them get to me first!
Regards Rodders

:) I got caught with my car tax out by five months. How it happened, I don't know - we bought the car with no tax on it and even the garage selling it didn't point it out. No one noticed. Anyway, I got a statutory fine. A month or so went by, and I got a bill from the DVLC. I was expecting to pay the back tax, but trhis was extortionate. I rung them and queried it. It's a fine, the woman said. But I've already been fined I said. Yes she said - the police have you fined for not displaying your tax disc, and we fine you for not having one. :oops:

One of my biker mates runs his own mot station,
Last week, A customer came in and it transpires he has been using the car for 5 months without a mot.
He's been all over the country in that time, don't these camera's work?
Lucky he never got caught!
Rodders

I'll ring the dvla. Thank you for your advice. It's my missus wants it gone. I always planed on sorting it out. One of her work mates expressed an interest in it and she decided it HAD to go. She knows best.

I did sorn my van using the online system, i didn't get a letter through. I had surgery which meant my leg was in plaster for 5 months. When i went to jump start it, the battery life wouldn't keep charge, so i decided to get the battery first and check that was the only problem. I then taxed it first thing the next day (covering the prevoius day) but a camera had caught me on the trip to Halfords.

I then not only got a fine for using my van untaxed, but they charged me for the period it was sorn. I went to court to defend myself, but they said the odds of getting caught using my van once was so small that they said i must have been using it sorn. I took evidence that i was in plaster, i am the only one who uses it, but they still said i had to pay £400 in total.

I reckon better to contact them know as they will find a way removing some of your hard earned cash from you!

Good luck

P. S. Always get the name of the person you spoke to otherwise they will deny you have ever contacted them

Latest posts

Back