Most inexpensive postage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that Royal Mail has been found sometime on 16th century and nothing has changed after that... :D

I'm buying quite heavy lots of tools every now and then from UK and having real problems figuring out what would be the cheapest shiopping method. I can very well wait for a few weeks for a 20+ kg package if I don't have to pay £100 for it.

Is there some sort of a "surface mail service" on any of the couriers?

Oh, how easy just regular mail would be. I'm never home when the couriers get to my house and they try a few times before bringing the parcel to my local post office so I'm paying for nothing anyway...

Pekka

Pekka, I have equal trouble working out the mysterious ways in which Her Majesty's mail moves, it's wonders to perform. My only thought is to throw you on the tender mercies of their website and see if you have better luck than I.

Cheers, Alf

Pekka Huhta":16bydaoe said:
It seems that Royal Mail has been found sometime on 16th century and nothing has changed after that... :D

I'm buying quite heavy lots of tools every now and then from UK and having real problems figuring out what would be the cheapest shiopping method. I can very well wait for a few weeks for a 20+ kg package if I don't have to pay £100 for it.

Is there some sort of a "surface mail service" on any of the couriers?

Oh, how easy just regular mail would be. I'm never home when the couriers get to my house and they try a few times before bringing the parcel to my local post office so I'm paying for nothing anyway...

Pekka

Hmmm....
Royal Mail":16bydaoe said:
"Small Packets over 2000g cannot be sent by Royal Mail International Services***"

That's a bit odd eh? Can't believe you can't send anything weighing more than 2kg via RM... :?

Sam

Vormulac":8sf9o8lb said:
I had to ship a heavy (ish, 10kg) parcel to Germany and the cheapest by a long way was doing it through the website www.interparcel.co.uk
It worked out about half the price of parcelfarce and the usual suspects.

I'll have to take a good look at it, thanks. If the quotations on those pages are valid, it seems that it might be the cheapest. I just had a package sent to me (22 kg) a bit over £ 100 and the cheapest alternative these guys offer is £ 19. Amazing.

I have had deliveries by Parcelforce, DHL, FedEx and some other courier I don't even remember any more. On good days they are bad and on others they are even worse. The cheapest was DHL, but the sender had a contract with them and the most expensive was FedEx. It seems that those Interparcel guys use DHL anyway.

But even these guys want to collect the parcel and deliver it to my door. What the heck happened to just good, old, regular mail? Post office, Mr. Mailman, squeaky bicycles, huh?

Pekka

P.S: I just have to gloat a bit: Just guess how many molding planes you can fit into a 22 kg parcel :D :D ?

I already have a #55 so I had to buy 55 individual planes instead :D

4qd3cds.jpg

Pekka

Well, that's one of the reasons why I don't need the next day courier service: it takes weeks to sharpen them all, so what's the point in flying them over here in a day or two? :wink:

Most of them I go through right away, but some of them will stay on the shelf and get sharpened only when I need them.

Next I'll start collecting Tormek stones ground to fit each and every profile I have :D

Pekka

Back