Morse taper to M 33 X3.5 adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themackay

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get the threaded part made to fit on a morse taper arbor and wondering if anyone would be interested in one I have been following Chris Harts ornamental turning article in woodturning magazine and am looking at this as an alternative way to mount lathe chuck in rotary table although it may have many other uses

Alan

details on spindle nose locator collar would also be needed, a simple enough turning job for anyone with the time to spare, could take several hours to make mind I assume you want to use it on a rotary table, why not have a go yourself. Why not use an M33 bolt with a morse taper let in
how about this
http://www.rc-machines.com/en/accessori ... m33-x-3-51
I have not seen the article you are following so no idea what size MT you need MT/J arbors are plentiful for mounting drill chucks married up to a bolt might sort you out.

I had a requirement for mounting my chuck in my tailstock to facilitate me mounting a part turned segmented turning in the tailstock without taking it out of the chuck and therefore loosing concentricity. The only ones I could find in the uk I think from memory were for a Myford. My lathe and chucks are 1.25" X 8 and I was about to investigate getting one manufactured when I found exactly what I wanted on EBay but supplied from one of the big name American suppliers. The daft thing was that it is a Teknotool Nova part designed to fit in the Nova live centre system which I use, but is unavailable from Nova here in the uk. You may find exactly what you want in the USA and have to way up the cost of that against having one made here. Perhaps some of our metal working users could rise to the challenge?

Wildman":2mgrxno2 said:
details on spindle nose locator collar would also be needed, a simple enough turning job for anyone with the time to spare, could take several hours to make mind I assume you want to use it on a rotary table, why not have a go yourself. Why not use an M33 bolt with a morse taper let in
how about this
http://www.rc-machines.com/en/accessori ... m33-x-3-51
I have not seen the article you are following so no idea what size MT you need MT/J arbors are plentiful for mounting drill chucks married up to a bolt might sort you out.

That is exactly what I am looking for MT2 version got a link to one in the states $80 plus shipping etc and one in Oz I think was even more
Think I will order one of them thanks for posting

I don't think a rotary table will be deep enough to accommodate a Morse taper. Chucks are normally bolted to the table using T nuts.

woodpig":3qw4e5og said:
I don't think a rotary table will be deep enough to accommodate a Morse taper. Chucks are normally bolted to the table using T nuts.
Some of them come with morse taper in the center so surely it is designed to take one,I will check

themackay":30np3gpm said:
woodpig":30np3gpm said:
Some of them come with morse taper in the center so surely it is designed to take one,I will check

This is true but the adaptors I've seen don't look like standard Morse tapers. If you used a standard taper you'd also need space to fit a draw bar nut and clamp it before bolting the table down. Most folks seem to use T nuts and bolts to fix a chuck to a rotary table.

woodpig":3fc8llui said:
themackay":3fc8llui said:
woodpig":3fc8llui said:

This is true but the adaptors I've seen don't look like standard Morse tapers. If you used a standard taper you'd also need space to fit a draw bar nut and clamp it before bolting the table down. Most folks seem to use T nuts and bolts to fix a chuck to a rotary table.

That is the way the turner does it in the magazine article he makes a wooden plate with the Axminster chuck adaptor screwed to it and a faceplate as far as I can see coming from an engineering background I see the morse taper in the rotary table being a more accurate method,I can see what you are saying I will have to phone Chronas to check

themackay":3hrazdhb said:
That is the way the turner does it in the magazine article he makes a wooden plate with the Axminster chuck adaptor screwed to it and a faceplate as far as I can see coming from an engineering background I see the morse taper in the rotary table being a more accurate method,I can see what you are saying I will have to phone Chronas to check

Out of interest, what is the turner in the magazine article actually doing to the workpiece and how? It obviously depends on the direction of rotation but I'd be worried about the chuck unscrewing. Myford lathes have a huge disadvantage compared to other lathes in having screwed on chucks as they can't be run in reverse, something I do quite often.

The chuck is only going to be mounted on the rotary table and turned by incraments for ornamental turning

So this thread has rekindled my interest in this. I have been interested in the same ornamental turning article in WT magazine. I have neither a compound table nor a rotary table to bolt on to it and so these would involve a major (to me) purchase. There is no point in going ahead with this project untiI can source the part that attaches to the rotary table and allows the chuck to be screwed onto it. My lathe has a 1 1/4 X 8 spindle and this is not one that Axminster do with their chuck holders that the mag article writer uses in his project. Now I have spent some considerable time today trying to find such a part but either nobody makes them or they are called something that I havnt searched for? Now I know nothing of rotary tables, and this thread seems to suggest in places that a rotary table has a morse taper in the centre ? If this is the case then I'm home and dry, because I have a spindle nose adapter on a stubby M2 taper. That actually took some finding and I had to buy from the US. It is manufactured by Nova and fits into a Nova live centre in the tailstock and allows segmented turnings to be made in two build ups and brought together with both halves still chucked, and thereby maintaining concentricity. So iguess that my question would be, do rotary tables have a M2 taper in the centre? I shall ring Chronos and Warco next week of course and ask them, but I thought somebody on here may know if it's normal. Pictures of rotary tables on their sites look like they have a centre hole in them.

If you look here you will see that rotary tables have a variety of different holes MT2, MT3, Brown & Sharp, plain and even stepped holes. As mentioned earlier chucks aren't normally mounted on a RT using the hole. They are normally bolted to the RT using three or more T nuts and bolts, either directly from above or using an adaptor plate.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... oles/page2

This doesn't matter though, just make sure the one you want to buy has a MT2 taper. Best use a draw bar though or it could come loose.

Thanks for the reply Woodpig. Since posting I had a look at both Warco and Chronos and found that some but not all of their rotary tables do indeed have M2 tapers in the centre. RDG also do one. Some of them also list a M2 mandrel with a Myford thread on the end specifically for mounting a Myford chuck to the table, so it would seem a valid route to go. It would be preferable to me to have a backplate with a chuck mount to bolt onto the table if one could be sourced. They have a few listed but they are all the wrong threads for my chucks. A bolted chuck mount would see my proposed purchase of a rotary table with accurate indexing see a further use as the basis of a jig for an open segment off lathe fixing jig. I can see many more uses for this kit....... I've nearly justified it to myself!

Check out this page. It warns about mounting a chuck in the manner you propose. The article assumes of course that metal is to be machined whereas you are only cutting wood but it would still be wise to heed the advice. A suitable draw bar and some thread lock may do the trick.

http://homews.co.uk/page82.html

Will you be using the RT vertically or horizontally? I wish I could see the article but I don't get the magazine.

The rotary table would in this instance be used in the vertical plane. The process is, turn to a finish your turning, platter, bowl or whatever and then remove the chuck and turning from the lathe. Leave the turning in the chuck! A compound table is now fitted to the bed bars and aligned correctly. The rotary table is bolted to the compound table in the vertical mode. The clamping and jigging boards have of course been made so that the centre of the rotary table are at centre height. Now the chuck and turning is mounted in the rotary table and cutters can be positioned in a boring bar head mounted in the lathe mandrel. The fun is now supposed to start! The accurate positioning provided by the X and Y controls of the coumpound table and the precise rotary positioning should allow some level of "engine turning" to be completed with some level of prediction. The chuck won't be subjected to spinning forces as it is being used stationary, and it is not involving metal cutting with its higher forces. MT2 mount with a drawbar may be ok but without doubt a chuck mount backplate bolted to the table would be the best solution. Hope I've made it clearer what is trying to be achieved,

Latest posts

Back