Mk1 vs mk2 chisels??!??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr_P":1yvf5tap said:
Boo to the Kangaroo and for the love of god drop the obt. take a leaf out of Isaac's book and try R.Sorby or push the boat out with an extra 2 characters jeeez.

Won't mention the socks AGAIN.

I'm lucky my ocd only affects me locking doors and going back three times to check so mis-matched handles don't bother me and as a wiser member than I once said it makes it easier to find the right one.

Haha,
Was going to crop as I knew that was going to be picked up on, like I said not sharpened and the one that is has a protector.

I've heard people say that but how much time does it take to look at a chisels and know it's what you need?
Unless they are all in a box muddled up it's not a problem.
Each to their own tho.

I'm not OCD but it's just nice isn't it.
TT

Mr_P":3hdeoyqi said:
Toby,

To quote Jacob "It's not about the tools"

Google Georgian furniture, probably not to your tastes but look at the quality and detail then think of the tools that created them.

Practice makes perfect not more tools. This applies to a fair few on here and I include myself as a guilty party.

ttfn,
Carl

Hello,
Here's that old chestnut AGAIN. The Georgians had great tools, they didn't use DIY tat they used the best tools available to them, (and all fancy and embellished, often) and the tools are still pretty good by today's standards. Craftsmen have never historically produced good work with poor tools, EVER.

Also, the high end makers of today make fabulous furniture with thier tools, and if they need chisels with fine lands and high end planes, then why argue. The standards of fit and finish of furniture produced when I was at college would stand equal to and often above craftsmanship of the past. There were no rough sawn backs and bottoms and bits that were not easily seen, not a single overcut dovetail, not a modicum of tear out. Let us not get confused, and all misty eyed over antiques. The ones that are often used as examples to prove that misguided point, often cost a Kings ransom. The ordinary stuff used by lesser mortals couls be just as shonky as low end rubbish we find now.

As far as matching handles. I have never had any trouble finding the size I want by looking at the blades; the best way to do it, really, not some sort of coded handle system, that I'm sure I could not ever remember.

Mike.

I know carvers used to like (may well still like!) variety in their handles, but some carvers end up with maybe a couple of hundred chisels, gouges, bent gouges, fishtail gouges, spoon gouges, and umpty-ump other varieties of wood cutter. If you've got that many lying on the bench, some handle variety would make sense.

For most joinery and cabinetmaking tasks, you don't need that many chisels. Perhaps about five or six regulars, and another ten 'specials' in the chest for when they're needed. Handle variety is not such a need.

However - there is one factor that over-rides all of the above. Your personal preference.

Here are some of the photos I took this afternoon in the workshop (not a photo studio)

The top chisel in the photos is a new one out of the tool shop still with the wax on it, I asked AI to not grind them quite so fine on the lands for myself and I have found some of them a little too flexible in use.

The middle chisel is out of a student tool box so has been used over the past four or five years and I feel the grinding was a little to fine. We have 12 sets of AI in the workshop at present which are in regular use. The majority of them are mine but some of the students have them themselves, which means I get a chance to play with a fair few each week for a variety of bench work tasks.

The bottom chisel in the photos are my own MK1's which I have been using for about 12 years, the grinding was a little poor from the factory but at the time was a very good chisel for the price and have served me very well. They have held a very good edge and I enjoy using them. The handles are bigger than the later MK1's but are comfortable for me. I won't be changing them for MK2's but the Veritas 01 chisels are creeping into my own tool kit.

I hope this shows how they have developed as I have seen them.

Cheers Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0657 copy.jpg
    IMG_0657 copy.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0658 copy.jpg
    IMG_0658 copy.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0659 copy.jpg
    IMG_0659 copy.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0661 copy.jpg
    IMG_0661 copy.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0662 copy.jpg
    IMG_0662 copy.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0663 copy.jpg
    IMG_0663 copy.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0664 copy.jpg
    IMG_0664 copy.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0666 copy.jpg
    IMG_0666 copy.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0667 copy.jpg
    IMG_0667 copy.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0669 copy.jpg
    IMG_0669 copy.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 584
Thanks peter,
For the informative article. detailed both verbally and visually,
Another big thank you for taking the time to provide us all with this information and reference material.

Cheers
TT

Back