Mitre slot adjustment on sip 01332.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to align the mitre slot on my SIP 01332 and I don't know which nuts to loosen to allow me to tap the main saw bed in the direction it needs to go. Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks P.

Thanks for the reply Rodders.

I did do a search and the issue has been discussed before but nobody has stated which bolts or brackets i need to loosen to adjust the slot.

I do have a copy of the manual but there is no mention of how to do this.On this saw the saw carriage is mounted to the main saw bed.

I think that i need to loosen four bolts attaching parts D 66 x 2 (rotation press blocks) to two similar parts that are welded to the main saw table, but i may be way of base here.

My mechanical skills are limited but i assumed this would be straight forward to do as all other aspects of assembling the saw where easily done.

I think this is the same model as the Axminster AW10BSB2 so i assume the adjustments would be done the same way? so if any one out there has either of these models and has had this problem your help would be really appreciated .

Thanks P.

They are not very plain in the manual and sideways on hurts my neck!
In the absence of any first hand knowledge, I would first decide if the actual saw blade mounting is adjustable, as when i saw the bare bench, it looks like an empty box, leading me to ask if the whole saw mechanism, including the rise and fall etc, is fixed to the top, or the base frame.
Don't forget after aligning the saw cut with the mitre slot, you will then need to adjust the fence to parallel to the saw blade.
Sorry I can't be of any better use,
Rodders

Hi P

Having just had my saw in bits to solve a problem with the rise and fall mechanism it's pretty fresh in my mind (assuming I got it right of course). I only took it apart 'cos I thought I might as well give it a full MOT and grease up all the pivots while I was busy. Took the main table off as well so...

There are 2 brackets held on by 2 bolts each on which the mechanism hangs these allow the whole thing to swivel as well to get your angle cuts. I'll look up the numbers on the diagram and list later.
If the nuts are loosened and they're not easy to get at without removing the lower "blade guard" which is just 3 allen studs, the mechanism can be adjusted in parallel to the mitre slot and central to the insert slot. Slacken very slightly and tap gently and carefully using a length of timber and hammer.

BTW I think Steve Maskery tuned up a SIP saw though don't know if it's on his DVDs but he might well have a much easier method or disagree completely. I looked but couldn't see how the studs holding the main table to affect alignment of the blade to the table.

Bob

Edit

Attachments

• 01332 dia.jpg
    01332 dia.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 71
...Thanks Bob, It is the parts that i thought but i just didn't have the confidence to go ahead and loosen the bolts. The brackets are called 'Rotation press blocks' which to me gives no hint of what they are.

This is the most expensive woodworking machinery I have ever bought and at close to £950 I would have thought there would have been a better instruction manual with it. According to the SIP tech support there is no way of adjusting or aligning the mitre slot to the blade as this should already be factory set. The only other thing I was concerned with was would my saw run of a 13 amp supply as some other forum members said theirs needed 15 amp,mine runs well of 13 amp.

Apart from the issue with the mitre slot I'm otherwise very happy with the saw.

..Again thanks Bob for your help and diagram, 'much appreciated. P.

pswallace":wuta0nu1 said:
...Thanks Bob, It is the parts that i thought but i just didn't have the confidence to go ahead and loosen the bolts. The brackets are called 'Rotation press blocks' which to me gives no hint of what they are.

This is the most expensive woodworking machinery I have ever bought and at close to £950 I would have thought there would have been a better instruction manual with it. According to the SIP tech support there is no way of adjusting or aligning the mitre slot to the blade as this should already be factory set. The only other thing I was concerned with was would my saw run of a 13 amp supply as some other forum members said theirs needed 15 amp,mine runs well of 13 amp.

Apart from the issue with the mitre slot I'm otherwise very happy with the saw.

..Again thanks Bob for your help and diagram, 'much appreciated. P.

No probs, pleased if it helps.
I can see why they're called rotation blocks as they hold the round bars which allow the saw mechanism to rotate to give the saw angles up to 45 deg.

I'm very surprised that the tech guys at SIP didn't tell you they can be adjusted, I found them very helpful with my rise and fall problem. Anyway the blocks have elongated slots and at a guess there's about 6mm or so adjustment possible, when I reassembled my saw, the blade was very close to the edge of the slot in the insert so I just tapped the blocks gently with a long piece of 20mm square section hardwood until it was central, tightened the bolts a little and just carefully did the same until parallel with the mitre slot before nipping the bolts tight. Worth taking time over.

While you're in there it's also worth lubricating as many of the pivots as possible as they can get tight, I think that may have been the reason my initial rise and fall worm wheels stripped.

It's a decent saw when it's running sweetly and I've recently added a fold down router table to the r/h side which makes it even more useful.
cheers
bob

Back