Miter saw: Brand recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought the LS1013 about ten years ago and it's been spot on. Weighs a ton and is very accurate. Apart from new blades, cleaning/oiling and checking for alignment every now and then, it's done thousands of cuts without missing a beat. Best £500 i ever spent i reckon.

Sort of thread hi-jacking...
I've got some Architrave and skirting to cut, It'll either be pine or MDF, and not a great deal of it.
Obviously accuracy is king here as opposed to speed etc.
Would the £50 Screwfix evolution rage be upto the job for accuracy, or would I be better off buying a simialr priced manual mitre saw?
The extra incentive to go manual is that I dont have a great deal of storage space for a powered chop saw, and should I need one my dad has a not very accurate unless its 90deg one :lol:

I have the nobex champion mitre saw ( £160 when new,under £50 used) , supposedly the best one there is, got it at first because I needed to cut thick stuff/straight and nice and didn't had the $ for a real proper saw.
Let me tell you it's a pain in the ass, it was so lightweight that you had to fasten it down somewhere, constant wobbles, a real workout when cutting something and the best of all- it couldn't even cut square cuts!
Don't fall for it they are rubbish whatever £ they cost!

edit: it will be fine for small stuff if that's all what you need and you can cut pretty accurate lengths with it, But it was not able to cut 3x3 post square however you tried.

edit: it will be fine for small stuff if that's all what you need and you can cut pretty accurate lengths with it, But it was not able to cut 3x3 post square however you tried.[/quote]

I'm surprised people still buy these things The blade is too fine for many jobs, Even fence posts.
You'd be far better off with a decent bench hook and panel saw costing around a fiver.
The saw blade is Good for cutting bone when butchering though.
Rodders

woodenstuart":1ke089ku said:
I've got some Architrave and skirting to cut, It'll either be pine or MDF, and not a great deal of it.
Would the £50 Screwfix evolution rage be upto the job for accuracy, or would I be better off buying a simialr priced manual mitre saw?
The extra incentive to go manual is that I dont have a great deal of storage space for a powered chop saw, and should I need one my dad has a not very accurate unless its 90deg one :lol:

What size skirting are you mitreing? I just use a "cheapo" Rage type thing myself as there is not much choice round here in Sunny Devon when you're tool needed for work NOW, has broken or conked out.
Driving to Axminster etc is a non starter.
On older houses, or following some plasterers, means most end cuts, scribes and mitres won't be at 90 anyway.
My work is rarely reliant on 1 machine so I can get by on diy stuff mostly.
But if you need the machinery for work, then buy the best you can afford.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3bkjc287 said:
woodenstuart":3bkjc287 said:

What size skirting are you mitreing? I just use a "cheapo" Rage type thing myself as there is not much choice round here in Sunny Devon when you're tool needed for work NOW, has broken or conked out.
Driving to Axminster etc is a non starter.
On older houses, or following some plasterers, means most end cuts, scribes and mitres won't be at 90 anyway.
My work is rarely reliant on 1 machine so I can get by on diy stuff mostly.
But if you need the machinery for work, then buy the best you can afford.
Regards Rodders

No more than 120mm deep for the skirting, and the same for the architrave.
I think the cheap rage wont mitre that, but will bevel it, so there is some scope for making it work I guess.

Latest posts

Back