Mini Clock inserts and where to buy them

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibcallus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang, here again looking to buy mini clock inserts for making some clocks, can you tell me where to buy them please I have no idea, also how to fit them when i get them, thanks in advance,

Brian.

Craft SUpplies used to do a good range, I understand they have scaled down somewhat.

The Tool SHop in Derby stock the Record range, but I don't think they do mail order. Similarly Yandles in Martock.

There is one supplier who appears at all the shows but I'm afraid I can't remember his name.

Axminster have a limited range, but it might be just what you want.

There's a few ideas for you.
S

Not sure if it's what you're after, but Hobby's used to sell clock mechanisms. Not had a catalogue off them in a few years though.

brianhr":15qyrcxy said:
What do you want to fit them into? I use a router and custom made templates.

Brian

would like to see a picture of you using one of the templates brian if possible, i have attached a 35mm clock into a very small piece of wood using a forstner bit and then having to finish it with a dremel, can be a pain at times..

I will post a full reply ASAP but my workshop is at my son's business premises a few miles away. I will get there and take some 'photos over the weekend.

Brian

brianhr":1t6nyhkq said:
I will post a full reply ASAP but my workshop is at my son's business premises a few miles away. I will get there and take some 'photos over the weekend.

Brian

look forward to it, thanks..

This is my method.

I have had made a number of jigs as below in a number of different sizes. The removable disc in the centre has a 6mm hole.

20100919_82640x480.jpg

After calculating where the centre of the clock insert should be placed I drill a short 6mm hole in the block and position the disc.
20100919_83640x480.jpg

Using double-sided tape I place the main part of the jig on the disc.
20100919_84640x480.jpg

Remove the disc and rout out the hole for the insert. First just plunging down. I use an 8mm shank cutter for strength.
20100919_86640x480.jpg

20100919_87640x480.jpg

Then finish off at full depth. Clockwise in the hole with the jig still in place. A little out of focus but it's as clean as a whistle!
20100919_88640x480.jpg

Insert the clock and 'hey presto'
20100919_89640x480.jpg

Here are two finished clocks.
20100919_81640x480.jpg

I tried to make these jigs using the Ron Fox method for small circles on the Wealden web site. http://www.wealdentool.eu/rf_tips/rf_tips_04.html Unfortunately I could not get an accurate enough jig so I had them made at http://precisioncutting.webs.com/

The calculations for the hole are Jig Size less the difference between the guide bush and the cutter. In my example above I used a 64mm jig with a 18mm guide bush and a 14mm cutter.

I hope this is helpful.

Brian

I have just realised that I omitted the jig for small pieces of wood which was part of the original post.
I use this in the same way as before by positioning the disc on the piece to be routed and adjusting the 'wings' to clamp the piece. The whole jig is then clamped in the vice and routed as before. Because the jig needs to be large enough to support the router base there is enough room for more that one hole.

ViceHoleJig1640x480.jpg

I thought I was being very clever with this but looking through some old magazines found that Ron Fox had beaten me by some years.

many thanks brian, i think is a great idea and one i shall put into practice very soon as i have a few clocks faces to mount.
:lol: :lol:

Hi Brian

Just being searching the forum for clock inserts suppliers and came across your posts explaining how you cut the timber for your clocks. Unfortunately the photos appear to be deleted. Do you know why please?

Also are you still using the same suppliers for the clock inserts please?

You don't say how many clocks, or over how long a period. Nor if you want to cut by hand or machine, what equipment you have at hand or what your willing to get...
All of the above means that you will get many replies not targeted at your specific needs, if you could be more targeted yourself it would be of great benefit.
I know I have said this before, but I do think it's beneficial to the post originator, if they could be more informative to the extent that may provide better answers...sorry to be such a pedantic git...bosshogg :)

Hi Bosshogg

What I am really interested in is to see the photos in Brian's original post so that I can visualise the technique he has used.

The reason I asked about the suppliers is because Meantime Designs, which previously had good comments on this forum, no longer trades, and I guess I wondered if Brian had any problems with his suppliers.

Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post.

The original post and many of the answers are over one year old. That's probably why the photos have vanished.

Hi Roger

Does that mean that when I look back through old posts for information that I can never view pics for ones that are more than a year old? If so that's a pity.

I assume it depends whether the photos were originally "embedded" in the posting or if they were generated by a link pointing to a hosting site. If the latter then after time, for one reason or another, the link may no longer be valid - hence no picture.

Charlie Woody":du17iekb said:
Hi Bosshogg

What I am really interested in is to see the photos in Brian's original post so that I can visualise the technique he has used.

The reason I asked about the suppliers is because Meantime Designs, which previously had good comments on this forum, no longer trades, and I guess I wondered if Brian had any problems with his suppliers.

Sorry if I was not clear in my previous post.

Sorry Mate, my comments whilst they both targeted at the origin of the post and for all in general, they were not targeted at you. Rather the fact that my post came immediately after yours by chance only, apologies for any confusion...bosshogg :)

Back