Milling/compound/xy table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markvk

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the Axi one a few years back and got rid of it as the backlash was too severe, also it was almost impossible to get decent travel with the slide way shims.

I'd be tempted by the Sieg one from Arc Euro. I have used them before and they are a decent company to deal with.

Can I ask what use you intend for it?

Thanks Guys.

Roger, ive been to Axminster and tried the display model, i hadnt noticed it was the same but a different colour!! the backlash was considerably noticeable and so i discounted it as an option so thats the RDG one out!.

Shead9, I want to use it firstly on my drill press, ill mount a normal press vice on it and use it to micro adjust hole positions. i can also use it with my mortice chisels for mortising, once i have it set up square to the head it should be a simple task to clamp a work piece to it and use the x axis travel to cut the mortice.

Secondly i may try and use it on my graduate wood lathe to mount a toolpost for basic metal turning, I know this is going to be controversial but it might be worth a go!! as far as i can see its just a case of getting the lathe speed slow enough and mounting the post central to the work piece?

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Thanks Roger,

I did look at that cross table but it travel will be too small for me i think Aim do do a larger table but it looks nowhere near the quality of that one.

Mark

Markvk":ri8u4dwu said:
Secondly i may try and use it on my graduate wood lathe to mount a toolpost for basic metal turning, I know this is going to be controversial but it might be worth a go!! as far as i can see its just a case of getting the lathe speed slow enough and mounting the post central to the work piece?

It's not controversial.

It's your lathe, and if you feel the need to destroy it, the course of action
you outline should be an excellent means to that end. :D

BugBear

Hi Mark

Whilst not wishing to dissuade you from experimenting, I'd offer:

A wood lathe bed is not sufficiently rigid to adapt to metal turning - (you can turn metal in the same way as wood, free-hand, but it's a gentle tactile process).

If you're talking about drilling / morticing in wood - do you really need more accuracy than can be achieved by eye, (possibly with the aid of a magnifier)?

Regards Mick

bugbear":1qw5lg9o said:
Markvk":1qw5lg9o said:

It's not controversial.

It's your lathe, and if you feel the need to destroy it, the course of action
you outline should be an excellent means to that end. :D

BugBear

Ill let you know how the destruction proceeds (hammer) :lol:

Spindle":152pmsso said:
Hi Mark

Whilst not wishing to dissuade you from experimenting, I'd offer:

A wood lathe bed is not sufficiently rigid to adapt to metal turning - (you can turn metal in the same way as wood, free-hand, but it's a gentle tactile process).
Possibly Mick, thats why im asking for opinions
If you're talking about drilling / mortising in wood - do you really need more accuracy than can be achieved by eye, (possibly with the aid of a magnifier)?
An x y table basically mimics that found on many mortising machines and being able to alter x & y without re clamping the piece is a lot easier in many cases ill be buying one to do that even if i dont try to use it to kill my lathe (homer)

cheers Mark

Regards Mick

Markvk":2uzrbcj0 said:
Shead9, I want to use it firstly on my drill press, ill mount a normal press vice on it and use it to micro adjust hole positions. i can also use it with my mortice chisels for mortising, once i have it set up square to the head it should be a simple task to clamp a work piece to it and use the x axis travel to cut the mortice.

Finding an XY table to achieve viable mortising will not be an easy task. If your aim is to mortise then personally I'd plow my money into the right tool as opposed to a Heath Robinson affair. Also, as others have pointed out, turning metal on a wood lathe will not end well. The bed is generally not designed to take fixed tooling and will likely result in damage to one or more parts.

That said, their your tools and I suspect you know more of the detail in what you want to achieve.

You could consider a cross vice as these are a little cheaper and will hold the work (for mortising) at the same time.

Back