Micro Butane Torch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of these small butane torches. I always thought they were a gimic, but this works really well. OK, best for model engineering, but using this with silver solder paste for silver soldering small items is superb.

I recently replaced mine. Didn't know when I bought the first one how much it would come in handy. I then bought a 'bong' lighter which is similar but much cheaper. I use that one to get the fire started in the stove. I don't use bongs by the way.

A quick tip re those micro torches. Don't know if it's still true/applies in UK, but I bought one yeas ago (and very good they are for small jobs, inc soft soldering). I bought mine in a tool shop or at a model show, I forget now, but it was less than half the price of one appearing a while later - exactly the same mind - in a cooking shop.

That's not a micro micro torch thats a large size this is a mico torch brought one years ago not expecting it to be of much use is was so cheap but it's come in handy for a few jobs over the years always have to fefill from a lighter gas can before use as gas slowly leaksbut otherwise fine.

Attachments

• 14-425-pencil-butane-torch-2.jpg
    14-425-pencil-butane-torch-2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
I borrow the one from the kitchen. I use it all the time for getting heat into inaccessible places, bearings and seized bolts, also soldering larger items where my soldering iron can't cope. I must get my own one.

My kitchen one is quite a bit larger than that, flame is probably 10mm across, great for the BBQ and fire lighting but not one for small jobs. Just a heads up in case ordering online and the size is not clear.

Just been silver soldering the parts for the rear hub caps and thought I would share the process of using easy flo paste, very easy to get great results on small parts using this paste and the micro butane torch

Back