Metric or imperial - tempted to go retro

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":2cqdiyw1 said:
I'm 60 and came across a school excercise book from when I was about eight. In it were sums done in pounds, shillings, pence and farthings, and also furlongs, chains, rods, poles and perches. Pecks and bushells were easy after that. We also bought our potatoes in gallons.
I'm ten years older and remember farthings being used in prices in shop windows. You didn't often get them in change though.

I visualise in Imperial, but I know enough about conversion to enable me to buy long enough lengths of timber. I'm going to need 4 metre lengths for my 10 x 6 foot shed! . Some timber yards sell by cubic foot, others by metric.
In the shop, I tend to use a tape measure only to divide up stock for a project. Once I am under way, most of my measuring is done via comparison. So mainly then it's imperial for me. I just took the time to learn that 25mm was about 1 inch; and so on. In centimetres I have to look at the rule, and it has to have both measurements on it!
And our American friends won't convert to using metres, they'll be using meters! Wonder what they use for measuring their gas and leccy? :mrgreen:

Jimb... AFAIK, we still buy fishing bait by the pint! :D

Latest posts

Back