mdf drawer units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza111

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi There. I am a fairly competent carpenter albeit still learning and have been asked to build some various
pieces of fitted furniture to some alcoves for a regular customer. We have agreed on Mdf painted up white.
Whilst I have constructed wardrobes cabinets before I have never built drawer units from scratch and know
very little about them and what methods are used and what runners to use etc. Can anyone help or point me
in the right direction? This alcove where the drawer units are to go is pretty small 310mm deep and 800 wide.
The drawer unit is to be approx 1000mm high with floating shelves above.
I am a little concerned that this may not be deep enough to get any substantial drawer units in and advise the client
that it would be better to build the cabinet out a bit from the alcove say to 450mm but she seemed adamant that it needs to be
flush with the edge of alcove. Can anyone offer me any advice here.

Cheers

Tel

ive just made something simular, i used some of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Ext-Metal-Dr ... 336634f5ad but shop around to get a good price, by using these you make up your mdf cascase (in my case biscuits and pocket screws) then make your draws smaller by the thickness of two draw runners normally an 1", then these scew on the side, quick an easy. or if you want propers draws you could screw runners etc to the carcase the make your draws up from there,
hope this helped in some way

Thanks for a quick response fellas. I was thinking along these lines. I was planning making the drawers from
18mm mdf just wondered if they will be too heavy for these runners? Ive noticed too Bob that they do make 250mm and 300mm runners so it will be possible to keep the drawers into the recess.......wont be much room in them though!

Another question would you make a base first and get it all level and then sit the carcass on this.

Thanks again

terry

The dimensions of the buller slides (and others I suspect) is the overall length.

so 300mm behind your drawer front will be OK but 310 including drawer front will be tight but you could make a mortice in the drawer front to take a few mm of runner. Note that the runners cannot be shorten easily.
Drawer box plus applied front method is quickest and easiest but does cost a few mm of drawer depth

Yes! Make the base insitu and scribe to any floor /wall errors. IMHO any other approach will end in tears!

I'm making a drawer at the moment but it is 600 w x 750 deep on 700mm FE slides. I'm securing the box with screwfix cross dowels 77320 and bolts 87106. 2mm dados keep everything located and the screw winch it down plus glue just in case. My carcase is 12mm birch ply - just cos it was in the workshop. Will work with MDF too.
Not a classic woodworker method but very strong and the applied front will cover the front screws.

hth

Bob

Sorry to butt in but thanks Bob for that link. I have just been looking for drawer runners for an upcoming project and price was an issue. Great value.

Cheers Bob. I am slowly figuring it how and the best way to go about it. The jobs not for another few weeks
may come back for more advice. Brilliant site.

terry

300mm will be the overall fitted length of the runners. Why don't you use the 250mm drawer runners but make the drawer box depth a little bit deeper, say 270mm/280mm. As this type of runner is designed to fit flush with the front edge of the unit it doesn't matter if the drawer box overhangs a bit at the rear.

Cheers for now,
Dave

Latest posts

Back