Maple serving boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim22

Established Member
Reaction score
In the approach to christmas it is that time of year when I go through my off cuts and create presents. This year I have made some burger boards and a cheese/serving board out of some canadian maple.

I love the pale look of the boards and would love to keep them that way, but any oil finish I apply will yellow the look. Is this avoidable? Can I leave them unfinished even? Is a matt varniah food safe. There is lots of information out there thatseems cconflicting.

Cheers for the help. Happy holidays...almost.

Maple / sycamore works very well with no finish on it at all. You will need to sand it very well down to 400 grit then wet it and repeat wetting/sanding until the grain does not come up any more. I usually bleach it at this stage with A + B but it is not necessary. All you have to do after that to maintain the silvery white appearance is to clean them with washing up liquid as you would dishes then wipe them over with a bleach rag. ( normal domestic bleach, diluted ).

Oh that sounds like a good plan. I am not heard of that wet sand process. Does it basically buff the surface?
Thanks for the advice, will give it a go tomorrow!

Back