Manual gearbox or automatic ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To jig, or not to jig ?

• Hand and stone

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Jig and stone

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Hand and other medium (M3 lap film etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jig and other medium (M3 lap film etc)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • All of the above-dependent on application

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

barkwindjammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I am intrigued by the heated (sometimes) opinions on the virtues of sharpening and honing, these type posts seem to raise lots of views and open opinion.

I'm a complete 'noob' and as such have started out my 'driving lesson' in the hand sharpening quarter-
this is due to always finding other routes for my limited funding as far as 'tool purchase' thus far.

I am truly interested to see where the concensus is

There is no consensus, and probably never will be.

It's a combination of folks sincerely believing that the method they use is 'the best' at the exclusion of all others, regardless of what wants and needs someone else has in their sharpening gear (and often because they need justification in their method when someone tries it and also claims "it's good!"), and others convinced that you just don't need all the gadgets, widgets and whojakapiffies out there to aid in sharpening and that anything they don't use 'must be terrible' because if it was good, they'd be using themselves.

It's a mine field, always has been, always will be.

The best idea is to not read too much into it, but rather look at everything, think about what's going to work for you and go that way. Even better, actually try things out, although that's not as easy as it could be every time.

Stu.

In the end, it is all about what works best for YOU. The trouble with this is that you can only find out by trying different methods which costs both in time and money. If you are short of both try the abrasive film based method using a honing guide like the Eclipse 36 which is cheap and effective and will save you time and frustration of learning the skill of freehand sharpening. This may not give you the "ultimate edge" but you may well be perfectly happy with it, which is what counts. This isn't the method I use because I am something of a fanatic about sharpness and I have fpund other methods work better for ME and what I looking for, but that is just me. Ignore all those fanatics with closed minds. Try something and make up your own mind.

Jim

Quote "these type posts seem to raise lots of views and open opinion".

Quote "I am truly interested to see where the concensus is"

Its a silent poll
As Sir Bob Geldof would probably say

"Just press the pineapple button" (hammer)

Agreed, there's not one right way to do it and as others have said, you need to find the way that suits you. I use the Kell III and 3M films, which I find is the best of all the systems that I've tried over the years...oilstone, waterstones, DMT diamond and ceramic - Rob

mushroom_cloud.jpg

:mrgreen:

Even if your poll establishes what the majority do, the minority will simply conclude that most people are wrong and stupid, and that the minority is an exclusive elite!

BugBear

Back