Makita Chuck Wobble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkAW

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the DHP 482 (18v LXT combi drill)

3rd time this has happened now! It only gets moderate weekend DIY use.

The chuck wobbles where it's connected to the clutch assembly. That translates to quite a bit of deflection at the tip of the bit.

I don't recommend this model. First time I had to buy my own replacement as I hadn't registered for the 3 year warranty. 2nd time was a repair under warranty, and has just started again. Going back under warranty again. Annoyed as a drill is one of the most needed items in my toolbox.

Having used Makita cordless drills for many years this is not a problem that I have experienced and never had to use the warranty. Can you explain "The chuck wobbles where it's connected to the clutch assembly." or give more detail in as much as some figures, is it run out or bearings ?

I understand run out to be a wobble as it's rotating. I guess this is more play in bearings.

To try explain more if you grab the (still) bit and wobble it you'll see the chuck move with it. Upto the point where you rotate the torque selector. Almost like the chuck isn't fully fastened. Deflection is probably about a centimeter at the end of a average length bit

A centimeter? That's a serious problem.
I have an old metal bodied Wolf drill. I use it occasionally for precision. Put a long bit in it and there is absolutely nil deflection at the tip. All the modern drills ive had, there is a perceptible if very small deflection at the tip of medium to long bits, I even sent a Festool back due to the problem, I've just assumed that we are stuck with the problem due to modern manufacturing tolerances in this market, and the over Riding quest for shareholder value, but a centimeter is way off..

A centimeter is crazy throw it back at them and get your money back, that's not a drill that's an egg whisk.

Depends what you’ve been using it for. If just normal drilling then the drill is at fault, I’d take Phill05s advice.
I abuse my Makita cordless drill, leaning on it with a wire wheel, drilling at angles, that sort of thing, and the chuck wobbles, but that is to be expected.
A centimetre of deflection is wild though. Not measured mine, think I just might.

I learnt my lesson the first time when I had to pay for a new one out of my own pocket.

Since I've always registered for the 3 year guarantee and have kept the old drill for things like paddle mixing etc.

It gets used for drilling holes in timber and as a hammer drill for making holes for wall plugs

I have a similar problem with a Makita combi drill. It's a DHP 459. Shortly after I bought it, about 6 years ago, it developed a wobbly chuck condition. I had been doing some fairly heavy masonry drilling but even so.

I'd forgotten to apply for the warranty but sent it back to them for repair. I can't remember the details, (they either said they couldn't repair it, or said they could but didn't), but the upshot was that it came back with exactly the same chuck wobble. I didn't have the will to do anything else so I've lived with it ever since. I never do anything that precise with it anyway. Still, I am not impressed that a supposedly top quality brand should have such a fundamental fault.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that problems like this are something to do with brushless motors. I'm sceptical of that though.

Interestingly, in my case it hasn't got noticeably worse in the 6 years since it first happened. It gets occasional, fairly heavy DIY use.

PXL_20240515_094451438.jpg

Interesting. Though I don't believe mine is brushless, at least it has none of the brushless badges.
I've heard good things of Bosch. But already owning 5 Makita battery power tools and having 4 different chargers for other brand tools I'm keen to stop the proliferation of chargers.

I've heard good things of Bosch

I've become a huge fan of Bosch cordless drills in the last 7 or 8 years, This is worthy of a look if you want to dabble, probably more workshop than site though. I had a look at it the other day in Screwfix, and it ticks all the boxes for me, compact, nice balance, brushless, all metal gearbox, nice free moving chuck

I've had every make going, Makita 6095d, Milwaukee before they sold out (no drill could touch them for Nm torque back then) DeWalt, all of them, but Bosch are my daily driver nowadays

if you grab the (still) bit and wobble it you'll see the chuck move with it. Upto the point where you rotate the torque selector. Almost like the chuck isn't fully fastened. Deflection is probably about a centimeter at the end of a average length bit
Is the chuck properly screwed onto the spindle ?
For a reversing drill I'd expect to open the jaws wide and see a pozidrive screw at the bottom of the jaws. That will have a screw thread opposite to normal, so drive it clockwise to unscrew it. Then with the drill in low gear make sure the chuck is screwed tight onto the spindle. Finally, put the screw back in, anticlockwise to drive it in tight.
Even 1mm of wobble when new is too much and reason to reject it, but make sure you are testing it with a decent quality drill bit or test bar. Drills do bend and poorly made bits can have the point not perfectly centered.

Latest posts

Back