Making my first shotgun case, advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been wanting to make a wooden case for one or two of my guns for years. I've seen some beautiful examples on the web over the years but never seen one in front of me to study.

I've been buying a few bits of Walnut Veneer and would love to have a go at making the case and Veneering it. Should I cut the various pieces of wood or MDF, then veneer them before putting it all together, or build the case then Veneer it afterwards.

I'm thinking it might be easier to do it first, especially if I use a bag and pump, afterwards seems harder to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'd also love to see any examples of other peoples cases if anyone's made one.

Cheers

Hello,

I've never made a gun case, so I'm not sure on how you'd joint it. But veneering.... I'd call it laminating, but okay.... I have had experience of this before. Like at the link below:
http://simonswoodwork.webs.com/Image0067.jpg
Whenever I've made something like this that needed laminating, I've always laminated prior to assembling the piece. If you make a mistake, it's easier to rectify. Sometimes you may need to leave one edge un-laminated for fixing during assembly, and then laminate after. But it's always best to do what you can before hand.

Hope that helps you.

I would research this very carefully before making as I think you need to build it around a metal box or metal frame.

There are a few people who make gun cabinets in wood, I would get their catalogues and find out how they do it.

Tom

Do you mean a gun safe? To be used to lock the weapon away while not in use. Be very careful, the police may deem this to be insecure. However if you were to chain the gun onto a brick wall through the back of the cabinet it would probably suffice.
Look here to see the type of security offered by commercial cabinets.
http://www.safes-shop.co.uk/gun-cabinet ... 1h4hbd3mv7

Brian

Latest posts

Back