Magnifying head lamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I was sharpening a small dovetail saw the other day and realised I couldn't see what I was doing, even with my specs and a lamp.

I was thinking of investing in one of those magnifying head lamps with the attached lamps. I had a look on ebay etc but they all look cheap and not very robust.

Does anyone use one and/or can they recommend one.

Cheers

David

Hi David, I don't see how such a lamp would improve the visibility of the teeth. I need the light to reflex on the teeth:

68255_1.jpg

I use a moveable neon tube wich has raked light:
IMG_0392.JPG

before that I had a smaller one
Mieterh%C3%B6hung3+049.jpg

And sometimes I use reading glasses that a +1 too strong.
IMG_0016.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

I've never used a head-mounted magnifier, but I find one these very helpful for scrolling/sharpening/splinter-removal etc. with illumination, magnification and both hands free (plus some measure of eye protection too!).

http://www.warco.co.uk/lights/106-work- ... -lens.html This has a fluorescent bulb which I find better than the available LED equivalent

Cheers, W2S

Pedder - Identifying the flat spots is not the issue, just the clarifty and precision required for confident cutting. The idea of a stronger prescription pair of eye glasses may be worth investigating however.

Woody2 - I had considered the magnifying lamp, however finding a place for it may prove difficult. The head unit can be stored more easily, probably on a nail.

Thanks for your input.

David

I use a cheap pair of reading glasses and an anglepoise lamp, I did a 12tpi cross cut saw last and angling the light made it easy to see the right teeth to file.

Pete

I tried the strong reading glasses. Unfortunately my nose was practically touching the work piece. I suppose you could try a pair, they are cheap enough. I went for the magnifying lamp, that proved to be better. You do have to be careful with these because they do tend to have an inherent weakness at the swivel joints. Please note I haven't used these for saw filing but for delicate hand fretwork. The side light is a must.

In common with a lot of folk I learned to sharpen my own simply because the old-fashioned saw-doctors don't exist any more and I convinced myself that in the old days, most of the joiners and carpenters sharpened their own anyway. It was considered a basic skill.

But, back to the original question, I think that what visual aids you need depends on what size of saw you're filing. You've got to see what you're doing and to be able to see the cutting tip - this is where the reflected light from the blunt bit of the tip comes in. That and the feel of the file-stroke, which comes with practice.

Personally, anything up to about 8 points I can use my ordinary reading specs; 10 points and up needs some form of magnification, even with a raked light to see the tip. And all this has to be hands-free.

I have one of those Axy head mag things and it is OK if you don't mind having your face right in it there is a very short depth of focus and inevitable eye strain when used for long periods. I use one of those sparingly with the maximum magnifier up to about 16 points.... after that I just can't see it at all with my aged vision.
They are not entirely useless, but it is worth knowing their limitations in use.

So, in practical terms, I limit my saws to about 12 points at the smallest for these reasons. I ain't getting any younger.

I have the one from Clarke, the cheaper one, works really well suprisingly although I rarely use the magnifier!

Gents - Thanks very much for your responses. The Optiovisor was the accessory I had in mind prior to posting although I was not sure what it was called.

Ironically, I remembered I had a box load of old eye glasses belonging to my elderly mother. She is still a lady with a fashion sense it appears, they were all GUCCI spectacles :D Anyway they are all bi-focal, the lower section being a +4 prescription the upper being +2 (which is closer to my reading prescription) I took them out to the shop last night to view the fine teeth on my dovetail saw, Works a treat. I wouldn't want to wear them all the time but for the job in hand ideal.

Thanks again for the advice

David

Please, can we have a picture of you saw filing wearing you mom's gucci glasses? Please?

Cheers Pedder

Bluekingfisher":d2g6xmg6 said:
Gents - Thanks very much for your responses. The Optiovisor was the accessory I had in mind prior to posting although I was not sure what it was called.

Ironically, I remembered I had a box load of old eye glasses belonging to my elderly mother. She is still a lady with a fashion sense it appears, they were all GUCCI spectacles :D Anyway they are all bi-focal, the lower section being a +4 prescription the upper being +2 (which is closer to my reading prescription) I took them out to the shop last night to view the fine teeth on my dovetail saw, Works a treat. I wouldn't want to wear them all the time but for the job in hand ideal.

Thanks again for the advice

David

22_EDNA1_370540k.jpg

Back