Machinery wheels? Casters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some wheels so i can move my 100kg planer/thicknesser about.

Whats the best way to go. 2 fixed and 2 swivel/ braked?

It has a 10mm hole in the chasis, anything local that can be bought, i see Toolstation has swivel and braked but no fixed with a 10mm bolt fitting

Better not to have fixed, can make maneuvering a pain.
Just go for 4 braked swivel. You can then brake the ones nearest once in position.
I have a long narrow shed, and not easy to get past when stuff moved to middle, so changed all mine to 4 swivel braked. It's much easier now.

Two fixed and two castors will be more stable in use, but you'll need enough space to steer it. Four castors is more maneouverable but less stable and not actually nicer to steer.

I have tried 4 braked and swivel and the 2 fixed/unbraked with 2 swivel braked and also find the 4 braked swivel the best to move around. (bit of a mouthful that sentence) Anything that sits on the wheels while working is never as stable as feet on the floor and I find thicknessing big heavy bits of wood the machine wants to move a bit as you pull the board through so a couple of big wedges on the floor (outfeed end) can help steady things up.
Regards
John

....100kg planer/thicknesser about.

The Toolstation ones will not be the best quality. As above, go to a proper castor supplier and spend decent money.

Some more expensive ones can be swivel locked in one of eight directions. That has the good characteristics of both fixed and free swivel, but costs more. When it is in use, the force on the machine is unidirectional, so this type might remove the need for extra wedges.

You can make two chocks (small offcut of fence arris rail joined together with a strip of ply) that you can use to steady the machine. Glue old inner tube to the bottom of the chock if floor is slippery.

When assessing the required load capacity of the wheel, you would work on the weight of the machine plus the material going through it (plus all the bits you have stacked on top of it waiting to go through it) and divide that by THREE (not four).

I went with...

IQWTU Heavy Duty 75MM Castor with Brake, 4 Furniture Castors with M10 X 25 mm (3/8" x 1") Screw Stem, PU Rubber Casters Trolley Wheels, Transport Castors 360° Rotation up to 400KG

....75mm for my Axminster bandsaw and 50mm for planer, overkill for weight rating. Bought through Amazon they seem to be well made with double bearings and cope with my concrete garage floor. Under £30 a set I recall.

Take a look at the wheel kit for the SIP 01332 table saw. It is an excellent concept, making the saw easily manoeuvrable yet it sits solidly as soon as it's moved. Also retains the original height - anything else will raise the height considerably.

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/sip-wheel-kit-for-01332-01444-01445-01446-01456-table-saws
The same idea in principle can be achieved with these elevating castors:-
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81a9o6MWnML._AC_SY344_.jpg
The main problem here is that you need apply a load onto one castor to raise 50% of the machine weight and the lever arm length is rather short. This is where the SIP has the advantage with its long lever.
I use these castors on my medium sized Axy bandsaw which weighs 85kg. They are about £55 for a set of 4 from Amazon (on offer at the moment)
Brian

Hi thanks for the reply, the ones with the lever would be fine if I had the room. Dont like the sticky out ones see them as a trip hazzard.

I just went with some m10 bolt on ones, 50mm wheels swivel and lockable seems the neatest option. I only want to move it a couple of foot so when I use the thicknesser I can get under it..thanks

The same idea in principle can be achieved with these elevating castors:-
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81a9o6MWnML._AC_SY344_.jpg
The main problem here is that you need apply a load onto one castor to raise 50% of the machine weight and the lever arm length is rather short. This is where the SIP has the advantage with its long lever.
I use these castors on my medium sized Axy bandsaw which weighs 85kg. They are about £55 for a set of 4 from Amazon (on offer at the moment)
Brian

I like the look of those.

I have used these. Very heavy duty, built in static adjustable foot and excellent quality. I think I found them on Amazon. They are not a budget option!

However, Changing from static to moving is not quick or convenient…..

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2342.png
    IMG_2342.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 0
I fitted the Toolstation swivel braked caster, which are rated at 50kg each.
They seem fine but the metal lugs with the 10mm fixing holes on the bottom of the machine slowly bent inwards!
I watched as all four wheels after fitting slowly dropped lower and disappeared

Back