Lufkin measuring tool- what is this called

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailstones

Reaction score
My uncle has passed and we're trying to make sense of his carpentry tools and sell them to someone who can use them. I have this Lufkin ruler which expands to 4m and has the window to show the exact measurement. I can't find it on the Lufkin website. Can you help me describe it properly and what would be a reasonable price for it?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.48 PM.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.22 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.22 PM copy.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.22 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 3.56.22 PM copy.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 205
Isn't a chain for measuring length, Phil? I knew this as a "Sopwith" staff for surveying levels, along with a "Dumpy level" to sight through in a constant plane. Used them on archaeological sites. Great fun to send the Sopwith boy (or girl in one case, a rather elegant and posh archaeological student) through the brambles of an Iron Age hill fort to a point that needed measuring!

It’s a telescopic survey rod used in conjunction with a surveyor’s Level (Dumpy).
That one doesn’t seem to have many markings on it though.
No idea what those metal bits are.

Rod

Sorry the second photo is something else- brand is Wood Rat but can't find anything online to give me any hints on what it is. Someone else has suggested it has a piece missing.

MusicMan":z82otxuj said:
Isn't a chain for measuring length, Phil? I knew this as a "Sopwith" staff for surveying levels, along with a "Dumpy level" to sight through in a constant plane. Used them on archaeological sites. Great fun to send the Sopwith boy (or girl in one case, a rather elegant and posh archaeological student) through the brambles of an Iron Age hill fort to a point that needed measuring!

I worked on Camborne Redruth bypass 1973 - 74 - we were always known as chain boys and the staffs as chains - I never ever knew a chain to be used for measuring length or distance (although I know what they are). You comment makes sense, though.

I did a surveying and levelling course as part of my brickwork apprenticeship back in the early 80's and had to use one of those staffs, we used a Leica optical level on the course but my governor had a dumpy level for site use
I now use a laser level with a similar staff which has a receiver attached to it which pings when your at the set level, it's so much easier when pegging out new houses and You can do it all single handedly, I can now get footings almost perfect (well +- 10mm)

Must have been a Cornish name, I’ve always known them as Staffs.
We used chains occasionally years ago but with the introduction of Total Station Instruments they “disappeared”.
The chainman now guards the instrument with the surveyor holding the staff and picking the survey points. The modern instruments automatically seek the staff.

Rod

Back