Louvred shutters (plantation)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Was wondering if anybody had any plans on how to make wooden louvred shutters, I believe they are called 'plantation shutters'?

They look quite complicated, especially as I have bays for them to go in!

Everything I've found say they are made from 'Basswood'! Is this a species, or is it short for 'basic wood', ie any old c*ap??

Cheers

P

Pond":m6sno4ed said:
Everything I've found say they are made from 'Basswood'! Is this a species, or is it short for 'basic wood', ie any old c*ap??

Cheers

P

I've had experience of Basswood, and it is very soft. Dents quite easily.

Cheers

Karl

Basswood and Lime are very similar if not the same, very easy to carve.
If I remember correctly Norm made some shutters on Discovery channel.
I have sent you a PM.

Stew

I made some plantation shutters last year for a bay window. Initially I was going to use Western Cedar, but in the end I went for Poplar / Tulip wood as they were to be painted.

Did lots of trawling for build info at the time but without much joy. I believe there is a Norm DVD however what I found most useful in the end was the thread by JFC I think Paul is referring to

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3592&hilit=plantation+shutters

Here are some mobie snaps I took at the time too. I made three rebated frames for a splayed bay to hang the framed shutters using a cap piece and scribes to tidy up the top and edges. The frames shut on bales catches.

They were fun to make if not a little time consuming at times. The next set should be easier now that I've the figured it out and have my slat jig for the thicknesser :D

Rgds,

Jim

PS: Anyone see watchdog last night and the feature on bad shutter installation? :shock:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 153
I made some plantation shutters about a year back for someone. Give me a shout if you have any questions. The main thing was finding the nylon shutter pins. I'll post a link to a supplier if I can find it. I think they also sold the blades as well. At the time I had access to a spindle moulder and ran my own but would not advise it as its a lot of work.
Mind you the whole shebang was lot of work. Each blade needs four holes drilling and a two staples locating.
Times that by four shutters and 19 blades per shutter and you have a lot of operations to go through including equally spaced holes in the styles and drilling into end grain on the blades.
That said I was well chuffed when it all went together and worked!
Best of luck with this

Marko

Each blade needs four holes drilling and a two staples locating.
Times that by four shutters and 19 blades per shutter and you have a lot of operations to go through including equally spaced holes in the styles and drilling into end grain on the blades.

Too true, too true Marko this is where the time slips by! For future reference I'd be interest on the nylon pins you used. I used 5mm shelf pins from Hafele in a 5.5mm hole which seemed to work fine.

Pond If you have time be great to see some WIP shots :D

Jim

Attachments

• shelf-pins-5.jpg
    shelf-pins-5.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for all the replies/ info, very helpful!

I am thinking ahead, won't start this until the huge kitchen project I'm making ATM is done!

As for repetitive work, I can cope with that. I cut, planed, routed, thicknessed, mitred and sanded 72 6mm beads over the last couple of days; boy that's tedious!

Cheers

Andy

jimmy rivers":109dy4jq said:
Too true, too true Marko this is where the time slips by! For future reference I'd be interest on the nylon pins you used. I used 5mm shelf pins from Hafele in a 5.5mm hole which seemed to work fine.

Pond If you have time be great to see some WIP shots :D

Jim

I notice you used narrower blades than me… even more drilling! : )

Some links
https://microplastics.co.uk/ these guys make the pins.

The reference I have for the shutters I made is 'Modish'. Their current website doesn't list parts but you could give them a ring.

This is such a manufactured product I wouldn't make them from scratch again as you just can't compete with a mass produced (presumably) CNC set-up. But I'd go for a kit like one of theirs I think.

http://www.diyshutterkits.co.uk/welcome.htm

Latest posts

Back