Looking to buy a block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonaut

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to treat myself to a Low Angle block plan.
I have seen plenty of ‘Faithfull 6012’ models around £23 price point, are they any good ?
or perhaps a RIDER NO. 60 1/2. But more than twice the price.
either of these better ?

See plenty of Stanley’s 110’s 2nd hand, but unsure if better.

I'd be going to a car boot sale for a look around.An old Stanley might need a bit of rust removal and a quick sharpen,but it will be a good tool.The worst that can happen is that a previous owner has burnt the iron when re-grinding.Even amateurish attempts at flattening the sole and backing off the bevel can usually be overcome with a little work.My choice would be a 9 1/2,because thats what I have always used,a 110 will do the job though.

I have no idea how Stanley assign numbers to their tools.To see the difference,take a look at these:
1-12-116_1.jpg

That is a 110 and doesn't appear to have much of an adjusting mechanism.

This is a vintage 9 1/2 and has both an adjustable mouth,lateral adjuster and a depth adjuster.Which is why I think it a better tool.The current version has a few differences,but works in much the same way.

large2.jpg

I
Time to treat myself to a Low Angle block plan.
I have seen plenty of ‘Faithfull 6012’ models around £23 price point, are they any good ?
or perhaps a RIDER NO. 60 1/2. But more than twice the price.
either of these better ?

See plenty of Stanley’s 110’s 2nd hand, but unsure if better.
Have a faithful and it does the job, it's a toolbag tool so isn't precious! Where as my Stanoey stays in the workshop!

New Stanley and Record are all about using an established brand to con people into buying fake tools. One can usually make a usable tool out of one of those fakes but it generally involves quite a bit of filing and often hardening and tempering the blade and occasionally recasting and machining a part or two. As time has a value and having parts cast is expensive I see not reason to buy such fake tools.

Old Stanley and Millers Falls and Record and Woden and Sargent and Union are usually much better.

Stanley 110 was the low end of the range at the time. No adjustable mouth and no adjuster on the blade. Not worth spending money on.

New Stanley and Record are all about using an established brand to con people into buying fake tools. One can usually make a usable tool out of one of those fakes but it generally involves quite a bit of filing and often hardening and tempering the blade and occasionally recasting and machining a part or two. As time has a value and having parts cast is expensive I see not reason to buy such fake tools.

Old Stanley and Millers Falls and Record and Woden and Sargent and Union are usually much better.

Stanley 110 was the low end of the range at the time. No adjustable mouth and no adjuster on the blade. Not worth spending money on.
Thnx

I have a Stanley 60 1/2 (I think) which I bought new 40 yrs + ago which lives in a sock in my tool bag and still gets regular use when I'm working (last used on Friday). Takes a good edge and fits nicely in the hand. Irreplaceable. Couldn't find it in the tool bag for a few weeks recently (because I had forgotten that I'd put it in a different coloured sock so it was invisible) and was using my Quangsheng low angle which is a good plane but larger and heavier and not a smooth fit in the hand so just not the same. Was pleased to find the Stanley again. If you can find a good old one of these I would grab it.

I’ll focus on f8 ding a 60-1/2. Or 9-1/2
not really clear on the difference, will try to find some pictures

I’ll focus on f8 ding a 60-1/2. Or 9-1/2
not really clear on the difference, will try to find some pictures
60 1/2 has a narrower iron and is low angle 9 1/2 has wider iron not low angle both have adjustable mouths.
Both are good block planes I have one of each, ignore modern stanley or record irwin versions not worth the effort it takes to make usable, older records are much the same as older stanleys

I bought the Stanley 9 1/2 when I started college 25 years ago, Engraved my name on it as a few got nicked.
So Im kind of stuck with it :LOL: and TBH its not a great plane at that.

Im hoping to buy a Lie Nielsen No60 1/2 rebating block plane at some point in the future.
rabbet-block-sil-iso.jpg

I know Quangsheng also do a Low Angle Rebating Block Plane for about 100 quid,, but I don't know how good it would be. Prefer the LN

I bought the Stanley 9 1/2 when I started college 25 years ago, Engraved my name on it as a few got nicked.
So Im kind of stuck with it :LOL: and TBH its not a great plane at that.

Im hoping to buy a Lie Nielsen No60 1/2 rebating block plane at some point in the future.
View attachment 164474

I know Quangsheng also do a Low Angle Rebating Block Plane for about 100 quid,, but I don't know how good it would be. Prefer the LN

I know what you mean.
I did take the plunge on a Quansheng N°3 a while ago, more out of curiosity than anything
else and I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually like it a lot.

I do have the LN N°102 block plane, and that also is an absolute delight to use. Gives
shavings akin to a fine lace.

I have the Quangsheng low angle too and of the 3 block planes I have its the best for end grain. The others are a Stanley 130 that I bought as it looked unusual being double ended. It works but a No 3 is a better option as it has a nice handle and the same size sole. The last is a no name copy of a Stanley 110. I actually use it a fair bit as its light and does a fair job of chamfering corners and other small jobs.
Regards
John

Older ones are worth seeking out at boot fairs etc. New Stanley or record tools & machines are cheap tat trading on their name of old.
Saying that i have two cheap ones i leave in the building shed down the boatyard If they got nicked i wouldnt cry!

I have like 60 block planes i think i have a problem. However for me the 60 1/2 or 9 1/2 seem the best bang for the pound. I personally like my veritas apron plane. I have some knuckle cap versiosn and i find thema bit bulky. The rebate style seem good but they flex and are very delicate (certainly the older ones). If i had to chose 2 (probably wouldnt be able to do that) ii would chose a very small plane for keeping in the pocket and then a low angle plane for end grain work. But clearly there is a lot of opinion here judging by how many different types stanle produce. I have a ball end block plane which i love but that is really niche. Its like shoulder planes so much to play with

@heimlaga I’m not sure ‘fake’ is the right word as they are legally using the brand name. Rather I’d liken it to the MG brand which was sold on to a Chinese manufacturer with the current models legitimately bearing the name but having absolutely no connection to the original products.

Back