logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windows20

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all
had a few logs given to me today all about 3' long and between 2" and 10" thick. had beach,chesnut,oak,sycamore,willow,ash,hazel and silver birch. do i jusk keep them dry or should i cut them up first and store them.the guy said they were cut downabout 2 weeks ago.
thanks
andy

Hi

If it was me I would leave them in as long a length as I could safely handle.

Seal the ends with a wax or paint.

Then store it horizontally so that the air can flow through it. No great science to it just seal the ends unless you are going to use it soon.

Hope this helps.

I am sure others will be able to add to how they would do it.

While you are waiting for more detailed instructions/guidance.

Do not cut them any shorter and get some form of sealing on the ends ASAP.

Candle Wax Old Gloss Paint, anything that will slow down moisture loss from the ends.

Have you read the comments about storing green wood in the Help Sticky at the top of the forum list. :?:

Logs are the best for practise. Take your time and be careful, especially until they are fully round. If the logs are very wet, then you might want to cover the bed of the lathe with something to stop the water rusting. Make sure you clean up after turning as the wet shavings will rust anything it sits on.

Everything you need should be in those links.

windows20":y2o0d8cm said:
... will it be ok to use some just to practice on and any tips.

Practice all you like, you might be surprised what comes off the lathe and stays in one piece,

Green wood is ideal to start turning on, and the more time you spend spinning bits of wood the more confidence you will build and the more you will learn about the different tool characteristics.

Back