Local farmer burning old sofa, car tyres ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":nyxa6mlf said:
However I am quite surprised at the general tone of the replies to the OP, some of the cheap remarks are without any thought or substance and discourage any sensible discussion.

+1

monkeybiter":1ngmn94b said:
Firstly I will admit to having sinned in the past, with regard to waste fires, partly through ignorance and I found the EA pdf quite enlightening if a little patronising in tone.

Patronising or not, people do still seem to be willing to ignore it to save money.

monkeybiter":1ngmn94b said:
However I am quite surprised at the general tone of the replies to the OP, some of the cheap remarks are without any thought or substance and discourage any sensible discussion.

It does makes you wonder how many forum members would be willing to illegally dispose of commercial waste because it is too expensive to do it legally.

I wonder how many are registered Waste Carrier (even though it is probably a pain in the buttocks)?

From a SEPA site (but I would imagine England would be similar. Who needs to register?

You must register as a waste carrier if you transport controlled waste within Great Britain Scotland, England and Wales) in the course of your business or in any other way for profit.

You must register even if you transport controlled waste only once in a while. The requirement to register applies to self-employed carriers as well as partnerships and companies.

Types of business which, subject to the exceptions given below, may require registration, include :-

Building/Construction
Painter/Decorator
Electrician
Plumber
Glazier
Roofing Contractor
Carpenter/Joiner
Waste Paper Recycling
Metal Recycling
Glass Recycling
Vehicle Dismantler
Plastics Recycling
Bulk Transporter/Haulier
Tanker Transport
Gardener/Landscaper
Demolition Contractor
Waste Management Contractor
Skip Hire
Special Waste Transport
Clinical Waste Transport
Why is there a need to register?

Since 1 April 1992 it has been an offence to transport controlled waste if you are not a registered carrier. You can be stopped and your vehicle can be searched.

If stopped, you will be required to produce your certificate of registration. If you are not registered, you can be fined up to £5,000. If you decide to apply for registration after being convicted, your application could be refused. It is also an offence for anyone else to give their waste to you if you are not registered.

flanajb":1m4cpjno said:
wizard":1m4cpjno said:
It may have been acceptable a few years ago, but I think times have changed

It's no more polluting now than it was back then. It's just attitudes that change.

I just hope attitudes don't change too much, when I start to compost my garden waste, because the Council are going to charge for taking it away; on top of the rates we already pay for refuse collection. :evil:

Therein lies the question. Is it really so bad? Or are we being manipulated into believing so. Your call! :mrgreen:

There are for's and against's regarding bonfires.
I've lived on Farms or within farming communities most of my life.

I understand the nuisance problem of burning stubble waste and the banning of it because of the large nuisance footprint, but this has to be replaced with increased use of chemicals to overcome weed infestations, disease and pest accumulations.

Likewise we always used to burn fruitwood pruning's and old hay and straw stocks to get rid of disease, parasites and assorted vermin.
Shredding and chipping only spreads any problems and has to be dressed with chemicals to sterilize.
Now many of the said chemicals are on the near horizon of banned chemicals.

Perhaps we are going to have go back to burning as a sterilization media, after all that is natures way of cleaning and regenerating swathes of the planet. After all burning organic waste is carbon neutral not like the production of the chemicals or management of waste recycling.

When you have acres of land not just a small garden the costs of doing otherwise are astronomical, even with my half acre surrounded with trees and shrubs it needs a two full days of burning each year when the wind is right to get rid of all the stuff not compostable in the four cubic metres+ of compost bin we cycle through every two to three years. (I've worn out over £1,500's worth of chippers in the thirty years I've lived here)

There is no excuse for deliberately burning farm plastic waste or tyres etc. on a regular basis, but if taken in the context of so called re-cycle dumps holding several thousand tons that regularly go up in flames and burn for days or weeks (heaven forbid it be suggested it's the easiest option to deal with it) the odd non compliant farm bonfire pales into insignificance.

I even suspect there are more domestic house and vehicle fires sending vast quantities of chemical pollutants from furniture and structure into the surroundings than there are polluting farm fires in most counties during the average year.

Totally agree its wrong to have toxic black smoke coning from a fire.

From a farming background, As part of the rpa, you are required to show a waste disposal certificate for disposal of on farm waste. your also not supposed to bring any waste/or materials on site without a licence. (road planings, hardcore, woodchip etc....)

The best answer is to burn it in moderation on a foggy day so noone see's :D :D

I was quite forcefully "asked" several years ago, to register, and obtain a licence to carry any waste from the sites I was, and would be working on.
Despite several meetings the really pushy (I'm just as good as any man) person came round my site, and just couldn't accept that I had all my waste collected by the skip men and I always had a receipt and a certificate that any potential "hazzard" had been accepted by the skip company, whom would have to demonstrate that this waste had been disposed of correctly The price of this is now absorbed in the overall costs, but at least it's not causing problems for someone else in years to come!
Even after showing her the receipts, she still said that they would prosecute me, but I never heard any more.
People with a bad attitude just spoil the day!

This just a symptom of the entirely stupid 'green' policies adopted from or forced on us by the EU, and other bodies. It would seem the more toxic the waste to dispose of, and therefore the more desirable it is to dispose of correctly - the harder and more expensive they make it!

The chanted mantra of "The polluter must pay" of the Greens has been responsible for more environmental damage then any other bright PC idea.

t8hants":stq0qtit said:
This just a symptom of the entirely stupid 'green' policies adopted from or forced on us by the EU, and other bodies. It would seem the more toxic the waste to dispose of, and therefore the more desirable it is to dispose of correctly - the harder and more expensive they make it!

The chanted mantra of "The polluter must pay" of the Greens has been responsible for more environmental damage then any other bright PC idea.

Quite right! - Try getting rid of a tyre legally - "Take it back to where you bought it" is the official line - what about the ones i found buried in the garden?

t8hants":1ba9z2ge said:

Yep agree there, unless waste disposal is free people are going to fly tip, burn stuff ect.

French farmers have got the answer to getting rid of their old tyres. They just arrange for a 'manifestation' (a demo) pile the tyres up in the middle of the road and set fire t them. The firemen and police stand around talking to them and laughing about any and everything. Then when the road surface is damaged really well the firemen put the fire out and cart the debris away. The local council pay for the repair and everyone is happy :roll:

Scroll down to the video

http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/11/05/lang ... 076605.php

Back